Halo 1 on the Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Righty, me and a couple of mates are planning a Halo 1 (1! not 2) LAN party sometime soon. My gaming equal has himself a 360, but as I don't know much about the system I was hoping that somebody here could help.

Is it possible to LAN connect an Xbox 1 with a 360 for a Halo match? Does the 360 upscale to 720p, or was that just pre-360 hype? Does Halo 1 on the 360 support multiplayer and all that?

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Halo and Halo 2 play just like they do on the regular XBox as they do on the 360. You can connect a 360 to a regular XBox to play LAN Halo games.

The game might look a little better, but it is not going to be a huge difference because of the upscaling.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The only difference is added AA 4x (and if the game didn't have it before, HD support).

4. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

yeah it should be able to work.... I never understood why so many people hate H2... true H2 didn't have a very good story to it but I think the multiplayer so night and day difference...I think H2 has such a much higher replay value.

I really don't mean to cut into your thread

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Halo 2 doesn't have Sidewinder, nuff said. That level is just pure brilliant on a 4 player, single screen each, invisible sniper match.

Cheers all. We'll stick my mates 360 in my room (720p 4xAA :D ) and let my brother and his mates use the old 480i tube TV's.

now... to try and lug that 360 up to my house :D

6. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Halo 2 didn't have sidewinder, Wizard, Hang 'em High, a good version of Blood Gulch, or that level with the shotgun and overshield in the AC duct, or the level with the rocket launcher set up in the middle that you had to jump to.

Basically, all of Halo 2's levels suck. A lot. Except for that new one with the sword in the middle in that tower thing, and the bases on each side with the turrets... (sorry for being so vague... I don't own Halo 2...)

I just hope that they can step it up for Halo 3... 2 really isn't a shadow of what 1 was...

7. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

so you dont own it...guessing you didn get the 8 new maps added and havent played the maps enough to get a real feel for them. I agree, I do miss the maps from Halo 1, mostly blood gultch but I loved Halo 2's maps. to each his own though :cool:

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yeah, the new maps have versions of Longest and Wizard as well. No Rat Race or Prisoner though :(

I think in general Halo 2 level are more aimed at large scale battles, 8+ where as Halo 1 levels were more about 2-8 player matches.

Also, I think Halo 2 is an all around less polished game and less strategical. I don't think it controls quite as well either and I really wished they would not have completely changed the main standard weapons - the Magnum and Assault Rifle.

And am I just missing something or did they take out "Health" completely? I feel that was a big strategical bonus in Halo 1 - Alien weapons knocked down shields extremely fast but not health, while marine weapons were crap against shields but shredded health...

They were rushed, they admitted it at least once... but it's still a good game. I play more MP Halo 2 then Halo 1... mostly because of more maps and game modes, better MP interface.

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't think neither game was as good as it could be on the multiplayer front. Halo 1 had brilliant strategy, it was a real thinking mans FPS. But the weapons were just way too over-powered. Halo 2? Terrible maps, less strategy. It's like they gave into pressure to dumb it down. only saving grace that it was online.

10. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Interesting you say the weapons were too overpowered in Halo 1. Compared to other FPS games like Quake 3 and UT2K4 they seem to be _less_ powerful.

One-shot weapons were only the Rocket Launcher, Shotgun (Point-blank only), and the Sniper Rifle (Headshot only).

I do think the weapons became more powerful the more skilled you became. By that I mean, the better you were at the game (accuracy, weapon usage) the easier it was to get a kill, thanks to headshots and proper weapon usage (like using the Plasma rifle to drain shields, then Assault Rifle/Magnum to finish the player off). Mix that with well place grenades and someone that was skill could really excel.

Part of that has to do with the "Thinking Man" aspect of the game, quick deaths encourages players to be aware of their surroundings and to be strategic and cautionary.

You would have hated the most popular game mode at my place: "Death Gun" - No shields, No radar, 50% Health, Pistols only. ;)

11. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Yes, and as others have said.
    Hype? Er, okay. :) Yes, the 360 upscales all Xbox content to 480p/720/1080i depending on what your 360 output is set up to/hooked up to.
    Yes, you lose no features.

Oh, and you also gain widescreen support and x4 FSAA via the emulation profile. Fast!

12. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd love that. I do like the pistols!

Our most played mode is 'super monkey'. 50% health, no shield, radar on, invisible players, sniper rifle, unlimited grenades, all vehicles. You can't play it split screen so you're maxed out at 4. but it's just intense. you learn things like staying put puts you right invisible on the radar. and other junk.

I love Halo 1 :)

13. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Sorry to go off topic but, I really wanna try halo 1 online with my mac but if its full of cheaters and UBER good players I wont bother, can anyone give me an opinion on this?

14. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'd say online Halo 1 isn't really full of cheaters or excellent players... there are always going to be some, but I see noobish level players all the time. ;)

Halo 1/2 on Xbox Live might be a different story... I have never tried that so I wouldn't know. :)

15. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Can't you use password protected servers on Halo 1? That would be the perfect solution. Perhaps.