Halo 2 coming to Vista

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

2. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Yeah,

As stated in the site, Halo 2 is to attract PC users to switch from XP to Vista.

Wonder if Microsoft/Bungie will also have it for the Mac? Doubtful

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

halo is a havok game, thus a mac version seems unlikely.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Vista's due at the end of the year right?

So a two year old Xbox title is the saving hope for Vista in the eye's of gamers? Not bloody likely...

If this was released last year, then I could see some excitment, but end of 2006 when surely a 360 release date for Halo 3 will have been confirmed and previewed like mad in all the press....

Will anyone care about Halo 2 on pc? Especially enough to fork out for a Vista upgrade or a new pc outright?

I think Microsoft and Bungie are over estimating the impact HALO 2 is going to make on the PC community...

5. jtalerico macrumors 6502

Ive been curious about this.. Halo 3 is due out whenever. But the XBox360 is running off PPC Chip.. I wonder if someone will try to port or get it to work with a PPC based mac.. That would be cool... If it is a good game... Once it does come out... LOL

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

They should integrate it like they did with IE. Have Halo 2 playing in the wallpaper (desktop) space 24x7 and you can play anytime you want. Replaces Solitare or that stupid mine game. Fully integrated Halo on your desktop.

7. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Im amazed.... I really am... even though I know I shouldn't be. I still am. I cannot believe how dumb Microsoft can be. Why on earth would they make a move like this? I mean, I know they are trying to get people to move to Wronghorn/Vista but come one.... Halo 2 should be on xp, and Halo 3 should be a vista only release. That would make MUCH more sense. Im so glad Im a mac/console gamer (even though I do like the xbox), Microsoft just keeps shooting themselves in the foot.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Microsoft keeps shooting themselves in the foot? Heck no. They never do. Microsoft keeps shooting CONSUMERS in the head.

This is nothing new. Microsoft has always been a fan of forced upgrades. They're not trying to make more money off Halo 2- if they were, this would be stupid. They're trying to force gamers to switch to Vista, which makes this a great move for them and horrible move for us.

I seriously can't understand why Microsoft can walk through antitrust *CONVICTIONS* upheld by 7 judges, negotiate their way out of a settlement, and KEEP DONG THE SAME THINGS and emerge unscathed. The Department of Justice really sucks, apparently. This is definitely monopolistic. Create your own game console, and DUMP it on a new market (this is considered illegal. Yes, Sony sells at a loss too, but that's giving away razors to sell the blades. Microsoft dumps with no intention of a profit, just to kill competition, and that is illegal), then buy a Mac games developer, stop them from making future products on the Mac, make them exclusive, then deliberately cripple future products to make them only run on future OS's (forced upgrades, something else the DoJ found them guilty of IIRC), etc etc.

9. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Who the hell will want to play Halo 2 in 10 months anyway? It's not even that good! Half Life 2 has replay value, Halo 2 has bargain bin value. I suppose the graphics will be upped...

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Thank you for saying what I wanted to say :)

On a PC, when faced with either the salt of the earth HL2 or Halo 2 I think I know which people will play. Halo 2 on a computer will feel like a little shareware game with its graphics and engine. Sure it works well on a console, on your TV. even the less visually colourful Halo 1 looks better than the over saturated Halo 2.

meh. I wasn't happy with Halo 2 at all. The Halo series itself is a little bland. overpowered weapons in the first game, so we'll have a mixed of under-powered and 1 hit kill weapons in the 2nd game. Nah.

11. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Citation, please?

12. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I'll third it as well.

Got Halo 2 on launch day. XP, Vista -- and even Mac users -- aren't missing much.

I'm eager for Halo 3, if only to wipe the memory of Halo 2. :)

13. harveypooka macrumors 65816

It's so annoying - the Halo series had so much potential. Was it not just us Mac users who remembered Marathon? And hoped for the next gen version? Whenever you talk to PC users about Marathon they look at you blankly..."Mararthon? Uh?". Oooo! Why can't we be in the 90's again!!!

14. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Since that other guy is getting credit I just wanted to say first off that I laughed out loud at this. Good stuff.

Secondly, Halo 3 as Vista only WOULD be a better incentive to switch, but
    1) it won't be out for the 360 by Vista's slated release date and
    2) porting it would be quite a task I suspect. It's not time feasible...

So Halo 2 is just about all they've got, so if they were planning it for PC anyway, they probably just decided to go ahead and make it Vista only 'cuz they can and shoot maybe it will sell a few extra units. Don't overestimate people.

15. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Link

can i smell hope cooking?

16. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Halo 1 was ported to PC almost two years after its XBox counterpart. And it sold really well, and boosted in popularity because of the PC release.

Microsoft has >90% of computer marketshare, not video game.

17. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

Just another shameless ploy by Micro-Shaft to sell a new OS, and in the process take some heat off of there currently flaying console. The numbers for the 360 are way below in all corners of the world.

But never underestimate the stupidity of M$ fan-boys and the general population who enjoy painful computing. Some folks just can't be convinced that their platform of choice is a brick, so they'll they'll just keep believing what their told by M$ and the PC manufacturers and upgrade to the newest OS when there really isn't a need.

The only thing Micro-Shaft is any good at is creating panic and demand for products that we as the consumer don't really need. Or at least not yet.

I've always found it funny how major PC virus scares almost always come right before a Windows System Update or a new OS release.:cool:

18. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

From the link, this is utter genius:

Translation: we'll justify this statement once we can think of some reasons that you might believe.

Sorry, Bungie, but I just don't buy this one and the total lack of answers to questions that you obviously expected, beyond "Windows Vista will help bring clarity to our customers and help them get more out of their personal computing experience, allowing them to focus on what matters most to them", just goes to show how desperate Microsoft is to find some selling reasons for Vista.

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually i don't know anybody who liked it ... even those who bought it tried to sell it pretty fast .. Halo 2 for the PC could be a complete flop as well
    after all who plays halo 1 online on the PC ? it's no half life 1 + mods

20. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

exuctly. Half Life 2 is the pinnacle of PC shooters, Halo is the pinnacle of console shooters. Neither work with different control schemes (joypad/keyboard) and neither look right on opposite machines. Halo requires minimal input short of the finger dashing you get in HL2 with its faster gameplay.

21. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Heh. Luckily, I already have Vista. :D The beta, that is. ;)

I'm gonna get Vista when it comes out. I'll probably pick up Halo 2, even though I have it on the Xbox, just to play it on the PC, with the much better controls and the much nicer graphics. ;)