Halo 2 For the Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by ammon, Aug 1, 2006.

1. ammon macrumors regular

Has anyone heard if they are planning on releasing Halo 2 for the Mac?

I love playing Halo 1, but there are some really awesome changes in Halo 2 that I keep waiting for!!!

2. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

There has been no announcement and I doubt there ever will be one. Halo is made by a company with some affiliation with microsoft and they are trying to drop everything for mac.

3. ammon thread starter macrumors regular

That sucks! Oh well... Guess I'll just have to keep playing it on my friend's XBox.

4. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Yeah, I highly doubt there will be one. It would be sweet, but I just play on the xbox 360 for now. Great game.

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Bunjie I think.

6. ColdFlame87 macrumors regular

http://bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=halo2vistaannounce&p=6136047

Bungie which is the company that made halo is owned by microsoft, they have released halo 1 for the mac while being owned by microsoft and in the article they say that releasing halo 2 for the mac is not out of the question, I would assume though that it will be a while after the Windows version is released which will be after vista (since it will only run on it, not XP). The hardware requirement might also be very demanding as Halo 2 was a very nice game graphically.

7. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

loong time off...

Here's the short take. Bungie, the company that did halo started as a mac company with pathways to darkness, marathon, etc., with the release of their myth games they started doing releases for both pc and mac. Ultimately, they were bought by micro$oft.:mad:

Its not impossible that Halo2 will be released for mac especially with the shift to intel, but if it happens it will be a loong time off. They will release for vista first (early 2007) to wet pc users appetites--and maybe, maybe a year down the road we might see it for mac. There are alot of obstacles--the biggest lately has been middleware not being there. Gamespy and others raised their fees making it difficult for companies like aspyr and macsoft to port pc games and have multiplayer capabilities of pc vs mac. If it does come out we might only be able to play on gameranger vs other mac players not pc.:(

i hope they can solve these issues tho and bring us the game better late than never.

8. omgwut macrumors 6502

omgwut

I highly doubt that Bungie will ever be releasing a Mac version of Halo 2, for a few reasons..

First off, they've yet to make a single mention or press release about it, nearing two years after the game's console debut.

Second, Halo 2 for Windows Vista is being rebuilt to utilize Microsoft's proprietary DirectX 10 rendering architecture.. I doubt that they'd bother to rework it in OpenGL as well for Mac platforms, much less hand the task off to a third-party publisher to do it..

Third and last, one of the key reasons that Halo ended up being released for the Mac was because Bungie had been working on it early on as a Mac-exclusive release, before they were acquired by Microsoft.. Along with the Xbox release, they stuck to their guns and sold it for Macs as stated early on, and later PCs.

Releasing Halo 2 again for the PC crowd is a great way to help Microsoft sell their next-gen OS to gamers, but I don't know if they think there's really much there left to milk in the Mac crowd to justify another timely port.

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Halo 2 on a PC/Mac with the downstairs 2405FPW and mouse control. talk about pissing over HD gaming. I'd give that a try at least, I think part of the reason I didn't enjoy Halo 2 that much was down to the awkward dual analogue controls. though it didn't stop me liking Halo 1...

11. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

Yes Halo 2 uses the Havok engine which means that it won't be ported to the Mac unless Apple themselves get into game development. It's also a Vista-only game, meaning it could be using DirectX 10 which probably would be harder to port to the Mac as it's a rewrite of DirectX.

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sadly, it seems that Halo 2 will never be released for Mac OS. :(

Same here, whenever I am in the mood for some good ol' Halo 2 I just play it on my Xbox. :)

13. socamx macrumors 6502

Actually, the original release of Halo was going to be a completely different game on the Mac, sorta like WarCraft or StarCraft. Once it went to XBox it was completely rewritten from the ground up as I understand, into the FPS game you all know, love and drool over today. This didn't stop the game from coming to the Mac though.. but I think it got a crappy port from XBox to Windows first, then another crappy port from Windows to Mac (Not Macs first then Windows).

My point is, Mac users weren't going to get a FPS game exclusive as I understand it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard this from multiple places.

14. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

@socamx
    before Bungie was owned by Microsoft they were developing a Mac Only RTS like you said. But when Microsoft bought them, they were forced to make changes.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sounds an awful lot like Rare (being forced into stuff when being bought out), did any Bungie developers flee to form another group, a la Free Radical?

16. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Doubtful...

I suppose being owned by Microsoft is somewhat of an affiliation...

Where did you read "they are trying to drop everything for mac"?

Not that I disagree, but I've never heard that rumor before.

Sadly, like most others said, Halo 2 is a completely different game from the ground up and is being built specifically for proprietary Microsoft technologies.

Too bad though.

17. omgwut macrumors 6502

omgwut

A few of Bungie's early founding members went on to form Wideload games.

18. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Halo is going to be released for Windows Vista (unknown date) and has been out for Xbox since November 9th, 2004. (And is also compatible with Xbox 360). Just install Vista through Bootcamp when Halo 2 comes for Vista, or buy a refurb. Xbox for $80.

Bungie Halo 2 FAQ.