HALO after 10.3.3 Update

Discussion in 'Games' started by Lucky736, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

When I hold down any buttons to try to move and shoot/aim at the same time it becomes very choppy almost unstable. Hasn't quit on me yet but very close to it, it seems. I hope it's an issue with the game and the new drivers rather than the OS and the new drivers from ATI. It seems the rest of the update is fine and the graphics in the OS seems alot smoother, some of the choppiness 10.3.2 introduced is now gone. Anyone have any other similar issues with Halo?

Mike

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's running better on my system than it did with 10.3.2. Are you using the latest version of Halo (1.04.1)? I've got a Radeon 9000 Pro.

3. Lucky736 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

I am in fact. Upgraded to it about 3 days ago then did this update and it is choppy. :(

4. Viv macrumors regular

I did not spot what mac you were using? it seems fine on my PB15"Ali 10.3.3 and the latest updater for Halo

Viv

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

It certainly enhanced my Halo playing experience. Especially over the network.

6. Lucky736 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

I have a PB 867 15" 1GB RAM Radeon Pro 9000. And it worked fine before the update. Everything but Halo is improved :(

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dont get to down Halo is the worst written bunch of crap code to be made into a game in a long time. Still amazed at the junk that Macsoft has sold. More bugs then a rain forest.

8. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Interesting.

Halo's performance increased for me, but not by the 5-17% macosrumors.com claimed.

I also was amazed at how poorly this game ran when it was released, I understand they are still working on patches for it, hopefully they will bring some performance boosts aswell.
    I read a while back that porting games isn't a matter of understanding the code, but rather of just making it work. Therefore, if they don't understand it, they can't do that much to optimise it.

I fired up Elite Force today and was amazed by how smoothly it ran with exverything on maximum. I can't help but feel games haven't come on that much to justify such a performance drop. Especially considering many people feel Aspyr don't do a great job in porting (I don't have any issues with them though).

AppleMatt

9. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Runs pretty well for me, as it always has. I think someone's got a case of PEBKAC.

The specs on my gaming machine, which has more to break than most:
    G4 Sawtooth, Sonnet 1.4ghz upgrade card
    768 MB RAM
    120 GB Seagate Barracuda SATA HD
    PCI SATA controller
    Nvidia GeForce 3
    Panther 10.3.3
    Halo 1.04.1

No hiccups, no problems, and faster performace than the last update.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

pretty well doesnt cut it for me after coming off of UT2003 & RTCW. it should run great, but iam using 10.2.8 . just look at the first update about 20 things wrong and still counting. overhyped garbage that still doesnt allow full keyboard use.WTF? cant program all the keys in a 2004 game? cant use controle, option,command keys? its a xbox port nothing more and a lot less. redundant levels as in i walked through here 20 times allready and i have to do it again? The evil hand of Microsoft is all over this garbage. no wonder people are pirating. do you think we should spend dollars for piss pot code that doesnt allways work? artifacts in places.etc etc. the disc will make a nice coaster.
    1.47 owc
    Geforce3
    1 Gig mem

11. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Wait, let me break out my translation hat...

:eek:

Pssst... Hey, DHM... This thread is about Halo, post-10.3.3. You've got the wrong OS there, guy.

Incidentally, I went and booted just to pull my settings for you:
    nVidia NV + Vertex Rendering Pipeline
    High Lensflare
    High Model Detail
    FSAA Off
    1152x870 (75hz) VSync
    Decals on
    High Particles
    High Textures

It's never hindered me. I've been banned from servers for beating up clans before. :D

Actually, the PC/Mac version has more content than the X-Box one.

Don't let that get in the way of your rant, though. It's more amusing that way.

PEBKAC, just like I said.

Your lack of enjoyment doens't equate to a game being bad, especially not when it's because you have to wander the levels more than once. In any case... What were you expecting from a first-person-shooter? Shakespearean plot and architectural diagrams for levels?

To each their own, I suppose.

12. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Dont Hurt Me

Let's not forget gents that Halo is a Mac port of a PC port of an Xbox port of a Mac game.

Halo was originally written for the Macintosh due in Fall 2000. This is additionally why there are three sets of credits , the first being "Original Halo Team".

And the real point of the post? Try Halo with the Belkin Nostromo N52. Nothing like Legendary with a pistol :D :D

... and doing it cooly.

Anyone want to sched a game?

13. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Sniff. Memories of that speech.

I wonder if the original Halo team are annoyed/disappointed/couldn't care less?

AppleMatt

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

10.3.3 really kind of screwed up my Halo, now it unexpectedly quits in single player a lot. I'll go to shoot something, then it will hang for a while, and then it will quit out. I'm thinking that I'll have to wait for the 1.05 update to clear things up. I think that there is a general consensus that the ATI drives in 10.3.3 messed some things up. I'm on an iBook G4 with a ATI Radeon 9200 Mobility.

15. Lucky736 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

TTT the people at macgames, the publisher, are the rudest and most unhelpful I have ever dealt with. No wonder everyone just downloads it, their caca customer service and tech support isn't worth the price of admission. :mad:

16. applekid macrumors 68020

Correction: Halo is a Mac port of a PC port of an X-Box game. The Halo that we knew of that was Mac/PC-only is a whole different game. The X-Box game code was written from scratch. The concept for the game is the only thing that stayed the same, if anything at all.

I thought the "Original Halo Team" in the credits was the X-Box people. Correct me if I'm wrong.

17. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-applekid

Well, that's really what a port is in its heart, a recoding of the non-transportable parts - namely the engine. In this vein most of the art and modeling were actually in existence with the original Mac Bungie Halo, and simply moved it over. Sure, it evolved with every subsequent port, which is why the current Mac/PC ports have additional items like a lot of the little bugs aren't there (most remain though).

But I stick with my original wording.