HALO and crashes!

Discussion in 'Games' started by neonart, Dec 28, 2003.

1. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Has anyone had issues with Halo crashing? On my wife's iMac 800 it simply will not go into Multiplayer. If you click on it... boom... unexpectedly quits, every time.
    On my 1.25 DP G4 it just stood still in one of the levels (inside ship) for several minutes before I force quit it.
    Anyone have similar problems? Any ideas on cause. I've configured the game to run as good and smooth as possible on each machine. The iMac has 512MB ram, the G4 2GB. Permissions were repaired prior to the incidents.
    I hope this game does not suffer from the "blue screen of death" syndrome or something.

2. couch potato macrumors regular

have you tried re-installing it. what kind of graphics card do you have?

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Radeon 9800, look at the sig.

I don't have any problems on my G4 1.25 with Radeon 9000.

4. Golem macrumors 6502

Well I crash on loading with shaders on. It plays ok with them on just you cant ever reload the campaign.

Stock standard g5 1.6 with 10.3.2

But Multiplayer is fine for me.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

well i just got the Index and Halo quits after the closing scene everytime, i have restarted, played with resolutions and more ,so im halfway through and cant go further any idea's. I must say this is one of the worst ports of a game i have seen in recent times and if you go to the MacSoft web site under Halo they dont have any contact info. Guess they got their money so now they could care a less. Really dissappointed with this crappy port. There are so many things wrong with this game i think they should have taken another year to get it right. Ill have to think hard before i make another Macsoft purchase. by the way im running on 10.2.8, g4 1.47, 1 gig mem. Neonart i feel your pain.

6. neonart thread starter macrumors 65816

neonart

Won't run MP on the Powerbook either. (12" 1Ghz, 512MB) I've turned stuff down to run well, but multiplayer will not run!
    So far it has not messed up on my tower again, but it sucks I cant play co-op with the wife, or friends on the other machines!

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I tried to give this game the benefit of the doubt, but its running poor on the fastest single G4 you can buy, i have seen artifacts in many places while playing this game, it has keyboard controls but then doesnt allow use of control,command and apple keys and there is 2 sets of those keys and they are some of the largest keys, try to skip all those introductions what 4 or more?? and you get a screen asking you if you want to quit the game? no 800 x 600 resolution 832 x 624? wtf, set it for defaults and it will show no resolution and crash. video settings that dont show a 640 x 480 resolution. When using this game i get the feeling it was a rush job period, no Quality at all. almost like whoever was testing this thing was blind or maybe was playing crappy PC games to long. UT2003 is such a better job. I feel like sending it to Peter Tamte i think his name is and tell him(MacSoft) to start counting all the flaws. If they want to port garbage i say dont make it at all. I wont even go into the fact that it runs and looks better on a P3 733. I had given the game a 8 out of 10 but now a 4 or 5. They should have looked at this a lot more. Then again it did originate from Microsoft so what should we expect.:mad:

8. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I have played it on both my Macs. With the G5 I have had no problems. I have finished Heroic and play 16 player multiplayer games all the time with no problems. On my Powerbook G4 800 I sometimes have problems if there are a ton of needlers being fired. Too much for the graphics card.

9. mstecker macrumors 6502

I agree with the above poster. I've owned Halo for my Xbox for over 2 years. I have a pretty hefty gaming PC and a slew of Macs, and decided to buy Halo for Mac rather than for PC to help support the Mac gaming world.

What do I get for my effort? A game that essentially DOES NOT RUN ON ANYTHING BUT A G5. My G4 has a 1.5Ghz upgrade, and a GeForce 4 video upgrade, and it runs HORRIBLY. On my 12" powebook (rev 2), it runs HORRIBLY. There is no way to tell it to even try to run at native resolution on my cinema display.

I understand that Halo has some pretty intense graphics, but so do Medal of Honor, Warcraft III, Quake 3, Black & White, and other games that run on my G4 1.5Ghz at full native res on my cinema display with no problems at all.

I can't help but feel that someone really missed the boat when it came to performance-tuning of this baby. I sent an angry email to Macsoft about this, but of course - no response.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Giants, RTCW,MOH,UT2003 all have better graphics and run much better then this game. peterjhill you should go into your video settings and click on default and notice your resolution will disappear and enjoy your crash. or try to get 640 x 480 to show in the video settings. This game runs and looks like a alpha or beta MacSoft. no polish at all. Hey why dont we start a class action lawsuit all we need are some ambulance chasers:eek: just kidding.

11. neonart thread starter macrumors 65816

neonart

I find it run's "nicely" on my DP1.25(35fps @ 16x12)- but I still can't use pixel shaders or FSAA above 2X!(drops to 17fps)
    That's with a 9800 and 2 GB of RAM! I'm waiting for the G5 updates and hopefully one of those will help.

But hey, who knows we may get an update to help performance... :rolleyes:

12. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

To everyone experiencing artifacts and crashes, make sure all shaders and FSAA are turned off, MacSoft say both of these are problematic.

AppleMatt

13. neonart thread starter macrumors 65816

neonart

14. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Cool!

I forgot to say, if you're running 10.2.8 or 10.3.1 run the graphics drivers updaters on the Halo CD.

AppleMatt

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The drivers applematt is talking about are only for Ati cards. If you have a nvidea like me you just have to accept that this game is crap.:rolleyes: still amazed they could let this out the door.

16. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I've got a 17inch iMac 800 256 and it plays fine even wide screen. It does pause for a second or two whilst loading levels but no real problems. One or two crashs (FSAA - on at the time). I read the instruction book carefully and repaired permissions after installing.

17. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Halo runs well on the 1.4 SP tower that we've got it tooling away on, with very little in the way of slowdown or chop without my being on a bad server. Even then, it's only placement errors that come from lagging locational data. We've got a GeForce3, 1.4 G4 upgrade card, 120GB SATA drive, and something like 780MG of RAM, if anyone cares about stats.

By comparison, the 800mhz iMac is almost unplayable, and sometimes worse than my eMac when it hits complexity in the number of enemies or projectiles. Don't ask me how that's true, because I'm not sure myself, but it seems that something about that machine just doesn't lend itself to playing the game tolerably.

18. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Re: HALO and crashes!

Not sure what's going on..I've got the same computer as you (dual 1.25), but with 1gb, and I've never had a crash. And multiplayer works just fine.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

hey mattg any chance you are running this on Panther?

20. neonart thread starter macrumors 65816

neonart

Well it only crashed once on the tower. After I turned off Pixel shaders I almost doubled my FPS (18 to 35) and it has not crashed. Not sure if it was the factor, but it helped smooth out the game.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

iam wondering if there is a stabilty issue with this on jaq vs this on panther anyone have any comments? im running 10.2.8

22. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

I've got Panther 10.3.2, and there are no stability issues for me. I guess that might have something to do with it.

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

im starting to think it could be a lot of the issues we have heard about though i would like to hear more from users wether on jag or panther and issues they have. probably the latest greatest Os would cure some of these ailments. thanks for the reply.

24. neonart thread starter macrumors 65816

neonart

Im running the latest Jag update, and the latest ATi Displays panel.
    Permissions always repaired and I also run MacJanitor regularly to keep things clean.

25. beerguy macrumors regular

It runs just fine on my 15" Alu. PB. on 10.3.2. I do have 1g or RAM in the machine so that certainly helps....