Halo: CD key not valid???

Discussion in 'Games' started by funkychunkz, Nov 7, 2005.

1. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

I've been playing Halo for a couple weeks now. I installed and didn't have any problems until yesterday I got a message saying "CD key invalid", and it wouldn't let me on to the network! Why would this be, if it had previously? Am I being hacked? Or maybe I put in the wrong code, but I tried re-installing, and it didn't prompt me for a CD key, it just started at first run.

2. applekid macrumors 68020

1. Let's make sure it's not a pirated version of Halo for starters... :)

2. It is quite possible a pirate has managed to steal your key. If that is the case, contact MacSoft immediately.

3. If you gave out your CD-key to a friend or someone else, then they were trying to play Halo at the same time you were. In that case, you're gonna have to tell your friend not to use your CD-key and tell them to buy their own copy of Halo.

4. When you do a clean reinstall of Halo, you want to remove any preference files because that's where the CD-key is stored. Then the CD-key prompt will show up.

3. funkychunkz thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

I figured #4, and was suspicious of #1 but didn't think that likely. I'll try #2. Is there any way that they could ban the other user from the network? I only use my one computer...

4. applekid macrumors 68020

What do you mean you were "suspicious of #1"? You do have a legitimate, boxed copy, right?

Anyhow, as long as MacSoft believes you, the user with your CD-key will be ban indefinitely, and you would probably get a new CD-key. At worse, they'll probably tell you to buy a new copy of Halo. More likely they'll give you a new CD-key for free or ask for a small fee.

5. funkychunkz thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Sry, Im meant to say I was suspicious of #2.