Halo Cheaters Online

Discussion in 'Games' started by geeeeeFive, Jun 16, 2004.

1. geeeeeFive macrumors newbie

May 17, 2004
    I've just started playing this game online. Its pretty cool and I can hold my own, but sometimes things seem wrong. Last night a guy was sniping for the whole map, he never had to leave the cliff. He had something like 60 kills with that damn rifle. My point being how the hell did he have that much ammo????

So how rampant is cheating in Halo online??? What are the cheats that you've seen? :confused:
  2. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2004
    West Valley City, Utah
    I can't offer any information about this for you but this is the exact reason I do not play online games. People's desire to win far overshadows the designed purpose of the game (entertainment) therefore making the experience less than rewarding. This holds true for many other things such as youth league sports. But I suppose that as long as society heralds the winner, these trends aren't likely to change.
  3. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    Fullerton, California

yeah i experience this sometimes, and it makes me mad as hell!!! GRRRR!!! hey well if this ever happens again...try to kill him and take his place, see if he was just over an ammo respawn point or something...if he is cheating, just leave the server...play with some real men who dont cheat, its degrading when people cheat...
  4. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    i used to hack a lot, but now i only do it in MoH:AA. i'm not sure if it will work for a mac, but i use dissolution 3.0 (4.0 sux) and it's great.
  5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

Jul 16, 2002
    Salt Lake City, UT

6. AkiraK macrumors member

Nov 16, 2003
    This is exactly why I don't play online except on known servers or with friends. It has nothing to do with society heralding the winner--if winning didn't matter, there would be no motivation for playing. But there's nothing fun about playing against hacks, and certainly nothing rewarding about playing with them. The PC side has begun making strides with PunkBuster, but I'm not sure if such has made its way over to the mac yet.

Cheating's always been around (anybody get rushed by an unending flood of maxed out hydralisks two minutes into a game of StarCraft?!?)...it just seems to have gotten much worse in the past couple of years.
  7. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    steam games seem to be pretty cheat-free....

valve monitors them randomly and can easily ban accounts that find ways to cheat. i think it is possible to get around, but not easy by any means.

the steam servers for DoD and CS are much better than other servers for this reason...the people who are good usually really are good.

i love games where you die when you get shot once (sometimes you survive a single shot and get to hobble around, which is nice, too).

some of the DoD levels are just brilliant...its amazing how much variety can be fit into the exact same format.

can't wait for DOD: Source...
  8. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    ^^ You must be kidding me!

Last time I played Counterstrike at my friend's house, it took us about 30 minutes to find a server hack-free! Headshots galore. They definitely were not good.

PunkBuster is also on the Mac, BTW.
  9. AkiraK macrumors member

Nov 16, 2003
    I'll have to second that. Counterstrike is one of those that I routinely play with friends, but never on random servers.

The saddest part of all of this is that it's usually only a matter of days (if not hours) before a new game gets compromised--if cheaters are nothing else, they're resourcceful.
  10. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2001
    Well the good news about cheating is that many newer games make certain types of cheating absolutely impossible, for example in WC3 the worst they can do is reveal the map (as far as I know). They can't create new free units or anything cause the other player's games would know that the units came out of thin air. (Of course that's why map hacks work so well, every player's computer knows everything that's going on.)
  11. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    it may be surprising but cheating is also rampant on online console games such as raibow six 3(one of the reasons i havent played in ~2months) they find "glitches" in the game where the y can crawl into a corner backwards or something and not be seen. there is also action replay which is total bull they get more weapons than everyone else different weapons infinite ammo different grenades body armor and others.
  12. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    i also cheat in single player mode of most games.

steam has ****loads of hackers. people don't care if they are banned, they can just make a new account like i did (in my long past hacking days, mind you).

buy when you play CS or CZ, take it into consideration that some people play the game professionally, and for 8+ hours a day. it's difficult to get stunning accuracy, but if you try it is really not that hard to get half of your kills as headshots. the trick is (with automatic weapons, at least) to aim a little above the head and move down from there. works like a charm :)

just make sure you kill the person quickly, though, because they might get to you first :(