Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Bungie announced that Halo will be coming to the Mac:

Halo will ship next summer courtesy of Gearbox (who are handling the PC version) and Westlake Interactive (who are developing the Mac version). Destineer, the Mac game publisher founded by ex-Bungie guy Peter Tamte, will publish the Mac version under their

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
in 2003...

As posted by Bungie.net
Since announcing Halo in the summer of 1999, people have asked us "When can I play Halo on my PC/Mac?" In the summer of 2000, Microsoft bought Bungie and a lot of people changed the question to "Will I ever play Halo on my PC/Mac?"

And in 2003, the question will change to "Who cares about Halo?"

This game looked great when I played a beta at Macworld 2000, but it is old hat now. In another year, no one will even care.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Re: in 2003...

Originally posted by Arcady

And in 2003, the question will change to "Who cares about Halo?"

This game looked great when I played a beta at Macworld 2000, but it is old hat now. In another year, no one will even care.

And who do we have to thank for that????? :rolleyes:

Skeem101

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2002
Odense, Denmark
Halo for Mac... Cooooool... NOT!!!

Halo was a nice idea when it was first conceived. Cool graphics and what seemed to be nice gameplay and story.

Well, now eons have passed (in computer terminology) since that day and lots and lots of games with cooler graphics and gameplay have been released. Who needs Halo anymore... it's old and using yesterday's technology.

:D :D Maybe Bungie/Microsoft should have a subsidiary called MuseumWare :D :D

lou tsee

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2002
switzerland
looks like M$ needs to bring in some more money on it's bungie accuisition -
with xbox sales being non-profitable and slow sales...

:p

thedude

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2001
halo on mac

I just want to make a couple statements:

1. Keep it, it's damaged goods
2. Don't want no sloppy seconds
3. Bungie sold their soul, now they want it back
4. Halo didn't live up to the hype, so I'm glad it didn't come out on the mac first.

No, I wasn't the least bit bitter about Halo...:p

It will probably only run on os9... haha

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
It will be worth the wait!

I disagree with people calling Halo a has-been game. The graphics are better than anything currently out there. The game physics is the best available (do a search for "Halo warthog physics" and watch the quicktime movie, and you will agree.

The PC/Mac version will have an advantage over the console game in that it will almost certainally contain a map editor, and if it does not, someone will hack one together. Internet play will be easer, though I hope that it will support at least two players on one computer.

What Microsoft needs to do (IMHO) is make a USB version of the XBOX controller. Naysay all you want, but it is better than everything else I have looked at.

Right on Bungie! BTW, if you liked Marathon and have a copy of 2 or ?(Infinity), go to source.bungie.org and check out Aleph one. It is port of Marathon to about every platform imaginable.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: It will be worth the wait!

Originally posted by peterjhill
What Microsoft needs to do (IMHO) is make a USB version of the XBOX controller. Naysay all you want, but it is better than everything else I have looked at.
It may be the best controller out there, but it does not come _near_ the effectiveness of a 3-button mouse / keyboard combo. No controller has been made that beats this combination in FPS's.

blakespot

Pants

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2001
Re: It will be worth the wait!

Originally posted by peterjhill
I disagree with people calling Halo a has-been game. The graphics are better than anything currently out there. The game physics is the best available (do a search for "Halo warthog physics" and watch the quicktime movie, and you will agree.

The PC/Mac version will have an advantage over the console game in that it will almost certainally contain a map editor, and if it does not, someone will hack one together. Internet play will be easer, though I hope that it will support at least two players on one computer.

Right on Bungie! BTW, if you liked Marathon and have a copy of 2 or ?(Infinity), go to source.bungie.org and check out Aleph one. It is port of Marathon to about every platform imaginable.

disagree all you like, but the fact is the game will be/is old hat by the time it ships. map editor? who will really care? Physics engine? ooh great - but ut 2003 (due out imminently mind - not next summer...) contains THE physics engine...expect patches to utilise more of its features. I really couldnt be more underwhelmed by this announcement - after all the hype apple and bungie gave this game, its purchase by M$ and subsequent restriction to its console left a bitter taste...

Personally, I'd like to see swifter porting of CURRENT games (doom 3 and u /ut2003 as examples) - I fail to see why apple dont give stronger encourgement/help to the bigger games producers to simultaneously ship games. ( a cynic may say that they dont because games are one of the few environments where hardware deficiences really show...)

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
I like Halo, but it's true that by the time it is released it will be outdated. That won't stop me from getting it of course - partially on account that I'm selling my Xbox. (not to start a console war here, but MAN, what a lack of decent games...)

I'm SO excited about UT2k3 though!!

-- J

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
I may consider purchasing it, just because it contains some old Marathon legacy stuff, but other than that.....

I am looking forward to Unreal Tournament 2003 though, and Deux Ex 2. (If they ever get ported. :rolleyes: )

Tue12

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
HALO was such an enormous "ho-hum", I couldn't believe it. It was like "blah", nobody gave a damn after MS bought Bungie.

Doom3 on Mac is what I'm looking forward to next. We need Apple to buy Id. That would really shtick-it to MS. :D

Hey, it's possible. Afterall, iTools is becoming '.Mac'.
:p

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
So is Doom 3 gonna make the cut this year?

My buying a new Mac depends a lot on when Doom 3 and UT 2003 is coming out.

rekras

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2001
NJ
abooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut
ffffffffffff*********cccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnngggg
tttttiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmme!!!!!!!!!!

there are no good new games out for mac right now...

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Re: Halo for Mac... Cooooool... NOT!!!

Originally posted by Skeem101

:D :D Maybe Bungie/Microsoft should have a subsidiary called MuseumWare :D :D

yea and we can run it on Apples MuseumHardWare.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
What I can't figure out is what did they do to it that it still needs further development? From what I recall of interviews and whatnot before the xbox was even out was that it was this close >< to being done. The Mac version was essentially done and the PC was close. Apparently they must have butchered it up for the xbox. <sigh>

I would have to agree that it'll be ho-hum for the most part. The warez folks will probably grab it but sales will likely be minimal unless they add some things in like a map editor and such to make it appealing. The thing that will kill it is if they don't allow typical online play but only allow multiplayer through MS's own service.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
wow

why are you guys knocking the graphics?
I just checked out the "Halo warthog physics".
it was great. I havent seen a game come
close to that. Anyway, see you later.

rekras

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2001
NJ
Originally posted by Macmaniac

I have to correct you, Warcraft 3 is out for the mac and it is very new!!! And it kicks a$$!!!!

yea i wanna check that game out, if u send me that ill send you black and white...

ThorPrime

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2001
Originally posted by Cappy
What I can't figure out is what did they do to it that it still needs further development? From what I recall of interviews and whatnot before the xbox was even out was that it was this close >< to being done. The Mac version was essentially done and the PC was close. Apparently they must have butchered it up for the xbox. <sigh>

If you purchased anything from the bungie store recently you would know why. On the Halo DVD that comes with every purchas they talk about how after microsh*t bought them and told them put it on the Xbox, it gave them time to add many new features and do other things with the game that they couldn't have done otherwise.

I agree though, as soon as i read next summer my heart hit low. I love bungie and have supported them for along time. seeing Halo for mac be killed (and coming out in a year is almost as good as killed) truly felt sick.
I just hope Bungie can pull a Harley Davison and purchase themselves back from microsh*t after they drop them along with the Xbox.

Besides, why in the world are they having outside company's port it. It would be faster and probably come out better if they did it in house. I'm sorry, Westlake is good but no one knows the software better than the people who wrote it.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by ThorPrime

If you purchased anything from the bungie store recently you would know why. On the Halo DVD that comes with every purchas they talk about how after microsh*t bought them and told them put it on the Xbox, it gave them time to add many new features and do other things with the game that they couldn't have done otherwise.

I agree though, as soon as i read next summer my heart hit low. I love bungie and have supported them for along time. seeing Halo for mac be killed (and coming out in a year is almost as good as killed) truly felt sick.
I just hope Bungie can pull a Harley Davison and purchase themselves back from microsh*t after they drop them along with the Xbox.

Besides, why in the world are they having outside company's port it. It would be faster and probably come out better if they did it in house. I'm sorry, Westlake is good but no one knows the software better than the people who wrote it.

Thanks for the info.

As far as who ports it well that sounds like a MS move most definitely. Even with their mega-billions they still keep certain things pretty tight on costs and they're probably trying to keep as much xbox related stuff tight as they can. Sony and consumers are giving them a tougher time than I think they expected.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by rekras

yea i wanna check that game out, if u send me that ill send you black and white...

Please do not turn Macrumors into a lame h4ck3r site. If you are going to engage in software piracy, please don't do it in front of me, no offense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.