Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
didn't this happen long ago? a beta or preview version of halo that never saw (and won't ever see) the light of day?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Doesn't M$ OWN Bungie? Why the hell would they let Nintendo have access to their most precious franchise?

Maybe...but then again maybe MS doesn't care about handhelds. Maybe the Xbox 360 is simply a plan to control the living room of people, and for portable stuff people can buy the Zune.

Ha! I wish...I too can't see MS letting go of Halo

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I'm confused on how you would play halo... Touching the screen as an analogue stick just doesn't seem to work for me...

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Maybe...but then again maybe MS doesn't care about handhelds. Maybe the Xbox 360 is simply a plan to control the living room of people, and for portable stuff people can buy the Zune.

Ha! I wish...I too can't see MS letting go of Halo

But what about DK racing for the DS? M$ owns 100% of RARE!

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I'm confused on how you would play halo... Touching the screen as an analogue stick just doesn't seem to work for me...

See Metriod Prime Hunter...thats how the guy from IGN described it.

It works decently...no questions asked I'd be buy Halo DS

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Doesn't M$ OWN Bungie? Why the hell would they let Nintendo have access to their most precious franchise?

They couldn't argue with the 44 million DS's out there, that's why! Makes business sense, though it will probably never be on the Wii or any other non-MS console.

I'm interested in this. And as I said on Joystiq, I hope the lack of graphical prowess forces Bungie to focus on the audio or gameplay elements and make the franchise feel fresh again.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I remember reading this on Matt's blog, and I also remember saying that it would be feasible back in late 2005/early 2006.

Look. Microsoft has said before that they consider Sony their primary competitor. Since the Wii came out, and is so different, this is even more true.

Sony is trying to get their first handheld foothold.

If Microsoft were to publish Halo on DS, it would be a HUGE blow to Sony, but it really wouldn't hurt Microsoft at all. DS and XBox 360 are totally different markets. One's a handheld, one's a home console. One costs $129, one costs $400. Nobody is going to buy a DS instead of a 360.

People deciding which handheld to buy however are likely to be swayed over by Halo, especially XBox fans.

I remember a Microsoft exec commenting back in 2006 that they thought Sony was being silly trying to take on a market leader with 90% marketshare. Microsoft has *always* supported the DS; they allowed for the release of Age of Empires II DS, did they not?

Halo DS has been a possibility in my mind for a long time. Microsoft wants to hurt Sony, they don't care to put in the R&D for their own handheld, so they'll support Nintendo's handheld and rake in a bunch of cash in software sales in the process (since the DS has the bigger marketshare).

So far Microsoft owned studios have developed both Diddy Kong Racing and Age of Empires II DS. Halo is not that much of a stretch.

You will NEVER see Halo on Wii however, or any Nintendo system directly competing with a Microsoft system.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004

You haven't played Metroid Prime on the DS? It's pretty simple. Think of the bottom screen as a laptop touchpad (also happens to be a map).

You get precision pretty much analogue to a mouse. Pretty close at least. You can snipe and go for headshots easy. D-pad strafes and moves. You can switch weapons by tapping corners of the touch screen. Double tap the touchscreen to jump. L or R triggers fire.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I was playing Metroid Prime Hunters during a power outtage today, reminded of the very detailed controls. I think Halo would work very well considering it's not ladended with needless controls. It's quite minimal in that area. And PLEASE Bungie - NO dual wield. Just no.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
THQ published some Microsoft games to the GBA back in the day. It's possible that a Microsoft IP can come to a Nintendo handheld.

Not that I think they got far with the prototype. I hope they indulge us with details soon.

EDIT: It's at about 37:30, if you want to hear it yourself.

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
And PLEASE Bungie - NO dual wield. Just no.

I have only played Halo 1, so I've never tried dual wieling, but apparently a lot of people hate it, so i guess it is just best to leave it out....

or do what Halo 3 did to dual wield, i.e. making it harder to find weapons to dual wield.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
You haven't played Metroid Prime on the DS? It's pretty simple. Think of the bottom screen as a laptop touchpad (also happens to be a map).

You get precision pretty much analogue to a mouse. Pretty close at least. You can snipe and go for headshots easy. D-pad strafes and moves. You can switch weapons by tapping corners of the touch screen. Double tap the touchscreen to jump. L or R triggers fire.

Oh I actually have played i but never very long; not long enough to get used to it... Perhaps I'm just to used to the 360 controller and what not, and to stubborn to get used to it.

But the way you say it and the one below you makes it sounds a lot better than I got the feeling of....

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
This is surprising to say the least. Then again, if they can hook some Ninty fanboys they MAY be willing to invest in a 360 with time... Since M$ at least for the moment is not a handheld company it makes sense they may try to hook some players for their console.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Silver-Fox, it's not on Wii just DS. M$ does not have any interest in the portable market so it is possible that they would in order to get more people to become owners of 360s and

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
No, Halo 3 is just coming out

Unlease you knew that and were try to make a point

And I love your sig...I'm playing around in iMovie and I'm using that clip!

Whose sig?

I changed it, it was just a typo, only Halo 3 people:p

And by the way, zap2 i added you as my friend on digg since i currently only have one;)

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
Halo is years and years old...why would they still care? It's been out on PC and MAC as well as Xbox for years. If they can make some more money off the game why wouldn't they? It's like an aging rock star milking their song library for all they can get while they can...

Paul

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Halo is years and years old...why would they still care? It's been out on PC and MAC as well as Xbox for years. If they can make some more money off the game why wouldn't they? It's like an aging rock star milking their song library for all they can get while they can...

Paul

Do you think we're talking about a port? This would obviously be a new Halo game, or a remake, because you can't port an XBox game to DS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.