Halo is the decision maker...Help me out mac gamers..

Discussion in 'Games' started by JMies419, Sep 5, 2006.

1. JMies419 macrumors 6502

I have never been much of a computer gamer. But always a XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation gamer to the fullest. I am getting ready to purchase my first mac. I would love to have the MBP, but I know its just overkill for what I do (College student, I need internet, e-mail, Microsoft Office Apps MAINLY). I want the Macbook. The plain white 13 inch super portable macbook. BUT, I NEEEEEEED to know how Halo runs on this machine with 2.0GHz processor and 2G RAM. I can stand not playing Call of Duty and everything else but I NEED to know I can play HALO anywhere I can, and play it on a system that will run it smoothly. So has anyone had any REAL experiance with HALO for mac with this system setup. All the way through the game, all scenario's, multiplayer online..how will the macbook 2.0ghz 2g RAM hold up? This is the macbooks selling point..NO HALO, NO MACBOOK..

P.S. yes I am seriously addicted to HALO, the ORIGINAL even..I dont even like Halo 2.. :eek:

2. TylerD004 macrumors newbie

Not Likely

I have no experience with the current MacBook, however, I have a lot of experience with computer gaming. I can tell you that the included video card in the regular MacBook will almost certainly not play Halo in a very playable state. The MacBook Pro, on the other hand, has a GREAT video card and is more than capable! Especially the 601!

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I've watched Halo on a MacBook (1.83 GHz, 512 MB RAM) on YouTube and the performance is laughable (yeah OK it has hardly any RAM). But (and this is a big but), that was the non-universal binary one. With the UB out, it should be easily playable at full-screen at say 800x500, 800x600 and possibly 1024x640.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Under Rosetta, Halo probably plays horribly.

With the new Universal Binary, it'll probably play great on an Intel Mac with 2 GB. It'll probably also play great running on Windows in Boot Camp.

5. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

if Halo is just now getting a universal binary, i can't imagine how long 'til Halo 2 gets one :p

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Halo 2 prolly won't even be made for PowerPC.

Halo plays fine on a Macbook. A little better than my 1Ghz G4 before it.

7. the7dwarfs macrumors newbie

I play halo on my macbook (2.0ghz, 1gb ram) and it plays fine even at 1280x800. I have never played halo (1) so smoothly, I am used to playing it on my 800mhz g4 imac which is unbearable.

8. robegian macrumors member

robegian

I myself love Halo, and play it on a 2.1GHz iMac G5 (1.5GB RAM) and on a MacBook 2.0GHz (2GB RAM).

Although I do play the UB version, on the MacBook is barely playable - at least for me - while on the iMac G5 runs perceptively better. I think the graphics card plays a major role here, so Halo on a MacBook Pro should be a terrific experience, while on the MacBook... it's just OK.

I posted some Timedemo results here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2752319&postcount=135

9. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Funny thing is though, with a machine that has only a quarter of the processing speed, a worse graphics card, etc (an iBook G4 running at 1 GHz) it ran acceptably, if without a huge amount of graphics options. The MacBook will run far better than that.

If worse comes to worse, he could grab a copy of Windows and Boot Camp and play the PC version. That should run a little better than the Mac version.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Halo 2 was never released outside of XBox.

11. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

12. Catfish Jones macrumors member

Unlike the original Halo, Halo 2 (and DirectX 10) is ment to push cutting edge hardware buyers (gamers) for an early adoption of Vista. The time between the Halo launches for PC and Mac will be insignificant compared to how long we'll have to wait for Halo 2.

Meh, I prefer the original Halo's multiplayer to its sequel's.

13. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

If a very old game is your deciding factor, buy a Dell :p

14. JMies419 thread starter macrumors 6502

Halo..a very old game? Never! Where are all the hardcore halo fans out there? Honestly, I dont care for Halo 2 at all, they could stop selling it for XBOX and I would not shed one tear. No way am I buying a dell, good god man. Halo is just one of those games I like to turn on and play to get away from everyday BS. I just wanna be able to fire up my macbook and play a little halo when need be, and I honestly think the MBP is overkill..who knows. :confused:

15. robegian macrumors member

robegian

MacBook is a viable platform to play Halo :)

Like the Timedemo results I posted show, most of the time you get a decent framerate (over 30FPS), which is more than adequate for playing the campaign. The problems arise when you join a multiplayer game and people keep defeating you in combat because their systems are more responsive.

I can't deny I'm not amongst the best Halo players (I'm rather an occasional player - just half a dozen of nights a month) but with the iMac G5 I die a lot less :)

16. JMies419 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Yet, I am still not sure what I am going to do :(

17. Atlasland macrumors 6502

I completely agree. I couldnt live without Halo - it's a great way to relax. I play it on my iMac G5 all the time.

It's not as addicting as, say Civilization, but it is just as (or far more) enjoyable.

You get bored of single player after a while, but multiplayer kicks bottom. Danger Canyon BBT Mods FOREVER!!!

18. lewion macrumors regular

lewion

Just do it, i have seen many many movies of halo being played on macbook and i must say it runs great... Even Cod 2 and Half life 2 rune for god sake..
    All those people keep saying macbook is bad for it's graphics, it isn't ! it is better than a gf fx 5200-5700 and ati 9500! do yeah it plays halo pretty good.. I have seen cod2 reach 70fps on a macbook with only 1 gig ram so wtf are you people whining about it is a great machine which runs great games!

(Although i would use linux with cedega for your gaming needs :) )