Halo LAN Parties

Discussion in 'Games' started by rontheancient, Nov 29, 2006.

1. rontheancient macrumors regular

I recently bought myself a copy of Halo so that I could join the LAN parties on my dorm floor. However, I cannot join games, and when I create games, others cannot join. Would it be because I am using a legit version, and the others are using no-cd cracks? BTW, the others are on PC's. Thanks.

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

One thing to consider would be configuration of your firewall, that might solve people entering your games

However if others are able to create games and everyone expect you can't join then I'm not sure about that

As far as I know the copy protection shouldn't affect games on the LAN, not sure about that

3. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

I disabled everything, including all the advanced options. I even created permissions for the firewall to permit traffic through ports 2302-2303.

4. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

It's not the PCs. Halo like most FPS relies on the gaming network (I believe Halo uses GameSpy), not the computer.

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

6. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

7. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

I think the versions are not the same. I am using the latest build (1.00.07.0613) and my friends cracked one are using a lower build (1.00.02.0581). They cannot update it though. So if I really want to join LAN parties, I need to find a way to downgrade my build.

8. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

That's probably your only option then if you want to play.

9. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

from the sounds of it you need to figure out how they got their versions, then do the same.

10. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

I know for a fact that the Mac demo of Halo will not connect to PC's, I now assume the retail version works like that as well.:(

11. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

No, the retail version will connect to PCs. no worries there.

12. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

The Mac version of Halo will LAN with the PC versions, but you have to have a version match, iirc.

You can't connect because you're versions don't match, generally if someone has a hacked/cracked Halo you have to have one as well to play with them. I've experienced this before, I'm fairly certain you can't downgrade... they will need to come up with a way to upgrade.

13. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Yah, it's called people need to learn what a license for software is.:rolleyes:

14. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Exactly. :)

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Buy retail. If it doesn't work then complain like **** on the Bungie forums and contact everyone responsible till you get an answer.

16. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

or get your buds to cough up some cash and buy retail, though this is highly unlikely it will meet success :p

17. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

I have a legit version of Halo, and there is no way of getting my friends to go legit. So in other words, no LAN parties for me...But anyway, I am amazed at how my HR Powebook handles Halo.