Halo Mac Serial problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by !~SlasH~, Oct 8, 2006.

1. !~SlasH~ macrumors newbie

K, so what happened was I got Halo: Combat Evolved on my mac the other day..and I went to type in the serial key for it, and it started it up but apperently I typed it in wrong.
    If I try to make a game it tells me 'Your CD Key is Invalid'.
    Yet I can still play campaign mode...
    Is there anyway I can retype it in? I'm really confused here.

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Hehe, pwnz0rd by the piracy squad :D That's not your game, is it?

3. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Well if you pirated it then I don't think many people here will help you. Most people here are just plain hypocrites pure and simple. I would imagine everyone has downloaded at least something illegal in their computing history.

Anyway, If it's legit,

I am not sure if you can re-enter but you should be able to if it let you start it with an incorrect number. Perhaps in the settings in the game somewhere? Try multiplayer settings, as that is where it is with Quake 4.

If that fails, then try uninstalling the game and then reinstalling so you can get another chance.

Good luck.

4. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

if its legit you can probably call a phone number and they can help you.
    If its pirated good luck man.

5. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Halo : Pirated Edition.

Good luck pal.

If you didnt pirate it, call up MS. They'll help.

If you did, theres a nice golden rule about piracy.

Dont do it unless you know what the hell your doing. Even then, you still shouldnt do it.

And dont go and join forums and ask questions like this. Its a surefire way to get banned.

6. afornander macrumors 6502

what happend to the world!!!! why cant people just trust each other, and think, "no, this guy would never ask for help about a serial key on a pirated game!"

this disapoints me :(

but ya, a lot aof piracy guys out there take serials made by programs(that are made by hackers) to generate serial codes. (dont ask how i new that out;) :p :cool: :eek: :confused: :D )

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Unless someone was extremely clever and managed to predict and steal his serial, he pirated it. Simple as that. Try it yourself. You get those exact same symptomns

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

So what if it was just a typo???! Seriously... if someone were pirating the game they should already realize their pirated serial won't work online.

The OP was asking how a serial could be reentered, not if someone would email theirs. ;)

9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

If it was a typo, then either it was extremely improbable, or it wouldn't have let him do it at all.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

IIRC, Halo has a little algorithm when entering the key that won't let you press "OK" or whatever unless it's in the right format and matches some pattern. Therefore, unless I'm misremembering, I find it very unlikely that the OP "entered the wrong key".

Either (a) his number was guessed by someone else - hacks exist to do that - or (b) it's a pirated copy. As mentioned, either call MS or stop trying to run a pirated copy, depending on which reason caused the issue.

Given that it was the only post by someone who never bothered to post back, I doubt it was a legit copy.

11. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

I bought a "used" copy on ebay a while back and had the same thing happen to me. :eek: It looked like a regular halo CD. The guy swore he bought it at an apple store, I sent it back and got my money back (I guess he was concerned about his reputation). I got a brand new copy at online retailer and no problems. Slash here might have had the same situation, it does not mean he did the pirating or was aware that it was pirated.

Glenda Adams from Aspyr said in a chat once that there is tremendous amount of pirating on the mac. It surprised me because the market just doesn't seem big enough for pirates to bother with, but then I got my taste first hand. :(