Halo / Microsoft / Bungie Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Benjamindaines, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I know Bungie studios had Halo in 1998 (or 1999 can't remember), so what happened there? Did Microsoft buy Bungie? Does Microsoft like having a Mac version of Halo, or is that something left over from Bungie?

--Cheers

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Microsoft did not buy Bungie (although I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft bought everything one day). Microsoft was the publisher of Halo, but Bungie developed it.

As for Microsoft being Happy about the Mac version of Halo, they probably aren't thrilled, but Microsoft has other software for Mac also (e.g. Office). Overall, it's just more money in their pocket.

edit: don't listen to me... and Microsoft is taking over the world! :eek:

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Microsoft Corp. today announced it acquired Chicago-based Bungie Software Products Corp., a leading independent developer of action oriented computer and video games. As a result of this acquisition, Microsoft gains exclusive publishing and distribution rights to select Bungie-developed titles, including the highly anticipated sci-fi action epic "Halo."

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2000/Jun00/BungiePR.mspx

4. Queso macrumors G4

I think they leave Halo for Mac on sale as a teaser to what PC and XBox owners get in an attempt to get Mac users to switch. Sort of a Halo halo effect :)

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Wow, guess what I was reading what outdated. :eek:

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

As far as I remember, Bungie didn't do either the PC or Mac versions of Halo 1 (although they're doing them for Halo 2 after the extreme screwups of last time) - it was Gearbox who ported it from XBox to PC, then (I think - Gearbox may have done all of it) MacSoft/subsidary who ported that to OSX