Halo Movie

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Nezza, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Nezza macrumors member

Nezza

2. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

A Halo movie. I've been dismissing any thoughts of how good it could be up till now, but this is a very positive step.

What does an exec producer actually do though. It doesn't sound particularly hands-on...

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Normally I scoff at video game based movies as I can't think of one off the top of my head that was actually good. But with Peter Jackson involved (even though he isn't directing) I may have to reserve judgement at least until I see a trailer or know how they are treating the story. Waiting and watching on this one.

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    So, I love Halo 2 multiplayer, but the game itself sucked. Hardly any fighting on earth, trapsing around as a stupid covenant lame-ass, no sign of other spartans like we were promised, and the worst ending ever in a video game of that caliber. I imagine the movie being just as bad.

5. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Ending? I wasn't aware that Halo 2 ended? Sure the game had no more levels but ended? No way. ;) All the talk about Halo 3 on the 360 –*I'm still wondering where and when the hell the second part of Halo 2 will come out.

Your fears echo mine on the movie though. If Halo 2 had never happened I'd be a lot more confident, but the sequel was so disappointing. Halo remains probably my most enjoyable and replayed video game ever though.

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Sorry, you're right. I meant lack-of-ending. :D

I know, I must play Halo online about 10-12 hours a week (which is a lot for how little free time I have.)

I just hope they don't make it look like the Doom movie. GAH! Horrible. And the Chief better be damn near 7 ft tall, and the suit better be awesome. I swear to God if they CG the masterchief (ala storm trooper-style) I will kill someone!

7. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Speaking of which, is this the first shot of Halo 3?

X05 may be about to deliver...

8. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I'm still very hesitant about this. And besides, Peter Jackson's producing. That means nothing. It just means he's going to be managing the buisness end of the production. This means it might very well suck, but at least it will get finished on time. I don't see what the big deal about Peter Jackson is anyway. He's kinda just okay.

9. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I'm waiting to see how he handles the remake of King Kong before I make any decisions on him.

10. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I agree with that, as far as his Hollywood career goes, but I've seen some of his indy Australian stuff, and I gotta say, nothing really stuck out. I saw on IMDB that he's writing and directing The Lovely Bones. That will also be a major thing for me. Though I didn't particularly love the book, it could be done really interestingly.

11. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Microsoft made Hollywood a tough deal on this one, the fact that it was picked up means that there are some people who believe in it.

If Peter Jackson is involved, I am heartened.

There is a lot of potential, I wonder who gets to write the dialogue though.Whether or not there will be a love interest etc.

Will it be a straightforward adaptation like Doom, or a more fleshed out story.

12. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Halo on Peter's head

Hey Dave,
    It'll be Weta Digital and all the crew that made LOTR what it is. Peter Jackson is a well loved member of Wellington's community and it being my home town, as well as the home for Peter and Weta, I'm well pleased with the news.
    Kevin,
    aka Grey Beard

13. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Is this another Aussie adpotion

Dave,
    It's Wellington, New Zealand not Australia for his indie work. And some of those early ones are great works, but not an Opus like his latter work.

Grey Beard

14. katchow macrumors 6502

i can't see anything particularly original or engaging about the Halo universe to warrant a movie. IMHO.

15. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Excuse me, Didn't know he was from New Zealand. And I'm not saying he's a bad person, just not a film god.

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Anybody that can bring LOTR to the screen and make it a huge success qualifies as a film-god. This is a book that has often been described as 'unfilmable'.

Having just watched all three extended cuts in a row over 2 days, and seen as one 12 hour film, it remains IMO a towering achievement with more resonance, emotion, quality acting and beauty in each frame than a whole slew of other blockbusters put together.

Besides, Heavenly Creatures was also superb.

17. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

One cannot deny the immense achievement Jackson accomplished with Lord of the Rings. I'm betting that this will be a real sci-fi epic, not be another Doom.

18. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I have a better feeling about it after seeing that Peter Jackson would be involved...seeing what he had done for LOTR.

Could be decent...I'll give it a shot with an open mind. :)

19. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Awww, I've wanted to do the whole 'extended LOTR session' since the third one came out and have been holding off watching the extended ROTK until I can do all three but I still haven't got round to it. :( I did that with the Godfather trilogy having never seen it before (edited version in chronological order) and it blew me away.

OT: Halo is a great story, that's part of what marks the game out over other FPS titles.

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Set aside a full day... or an evening for FOTR, then a day for the other two like I did. Well worth it and completely demolishes the claims of the excessive numerous endings at the end of ROTK... in the context of a 12-hour film, the ending is just perfect, a series of codas that underlines the essential message of the books which is based around the themes of comradeship and grieving drawn from Tolkien's experiences in WWI.

The only criticism I have is the score which although magnificent is a little too ever-present and also some of the changes made in ROTK from the book, particularly the events surrounding Denethor. But these are quibbles...

21. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Honestly, I didn't like LotR that much. The only reason it has been "unfilmable" is because CG wasn't around, which as you can see, he used to the fullest. I am very much against CG. All I thought the films had going were some good acting and a universal theme. I actually found it to be almost a little generic. Too much cliche fantasy stuff, but since LotR kinda started fantasy as we know it, I'll let that slide, but I feel there was something other choices that could have been different that would have made it better.

Then again, I've only see them each once except for Return of the King I've seen twice. Maybe I just don't like fantasy stuff, but in any case, LotR did nothing for me.

22. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

23. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

When Apple backs them to pent he deal....which will be never becuase they are traitors.