Halo MP setup

Discussion in 'Games' started by bbarnhart, Jan 13, 2004.

1. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I've been trying to play Halo on the Internet using the multiplayer setting without much luck. When trying to join a game, it times out and says "Unable to join the game server".

My question is what to I need to setup on my router to get this to work? Do I need to forward the client port, 2303, or do I just need to forward the server port, 2302 or both to get this to work (as well as opening Mac OS X firewall)? Do I need to enter my WAN in the IP address field? The problem could be with my DSL. They closed a bunch of ports a few weeks ago without telling me which has cause other problems.

This shouldn't be as hard as it is. I thought I was a super genious :rolleyes: with computers, now I'm beginning to doubt myself. So, if you have a router at home and run Halo MP and you've got it to work, I would appreciate info on how you've got it setup. Thanks a ton.

2. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

You'll probably need to open the client port (server port needed if you create your own internet servers). Open 2303 on the router and direct it to your computer IP. Then open the port 2303 on the OS X Firewall (if you have it active, of course).

I think this should solve your problem. If you need anything else just say, that I'll try to help you setting it up (contact me on ichat if needed: tiagocarvalho@mac.com).

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well I'm using a Belkin router and I've been able to join multiplayer games, albeit there are very few and most have horrible pings. Oddly enough I have your problem when trying to join certain multiplayer games in WC3.

4. bbarnhart thread starter macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I've noticed on GameRanger, I'm able to get Quake 2 servers, but they all say that no one is playing and there are no pings. Quake 3 does the same thing. I find it hard to believe that no one is playing Quake 2 because I played a few months ago and there were tons of people playing.

The games on the main page do display users playing and a ping status. This used to work fine. I wonder if that has anything to do with my ISP blocking ports. Does GameRanger use one or more special ports to display the information.

5. bbarnhart thread starter macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Question: When starting a Halo multiplayer game, does it use ports 2302 and 2303 or just 2302? And, when joining a multiplayer game, does it just use 2303 or both 2302 and 2303? I am able to host games or start them and people will join, but I'm still not able to join multiplayer games.

Also, about a quarter of the time when I try to join multiplayer games, Halo crashes. I've reinstalled the game with no better luck. Dual 1.25 G4 Feb 2003 ATI 9000.

Thanks

6. bbarnhart thread starter macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

After much persistence on my end and insisting that my Mac OS had nothing to do with my continuing network woes, they gave me a static IP that is outside of their firewall and lo and behold... everything now works perfectly.

Actually, they didn't give me too much of a hard time for having Mac OS X as I thought they would. They did keep thinking that if I reset/configured my router or rebooted my computer "one more time" it would work.

7. snowy macrumors newbie

hey guy with the ati video card, i have the same problem. it must be my video card :(. the game worked for a while after i fowarded all the ports but now it just crashes all the time. im gonna try and play on my mac :(