Halo Multiplayer behind a Firewall

Discussion in 'Games' started by Atlasland, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Atlasland macrumors 6502

So I want to play Halo multiplayer at university. My university (in the UK) has a firewall, and I want to know if there is any way around this.

At the moment if I try to open multiplayer in Halo, my system hangs. Multiplayer does not work for UT 2004 either. I have turned off my OSX's firewall. I have no 3rd party anti-virus software/firewall.

Please can someone tell me its possible to circumvent my university's firewall. Please can someone tell me how. I need my Halo fix!

2. Atlasland thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Atlasland thread starter macrumors 6502

4. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

You should be able to join an existing game, and if you can't then your university is blocking the connection. Most networks will allow hosts (computers) inside their network to set up connections with the outside world- which is how you are able to surf up the interweb, chat on MSN, etc. Games work the same way, typically.

The university is likely filtering outbound traffic to ports it doesn't know about, and has nothing to do with a firewall running on your computer or between your computer and the wall jack.

You can try and specifying a high, non-standard port in Halo's setup (say ~20000), rather than 2302; if I recall correctly there are port settings for joining games as well as hosting. You could also try piggy-backing on an allowed port, such as the ones MSN/AIM/ICQ use (assuming you can use those. AIM/ICQ is something like 5132. I suspect that this won't help much (depends where the filtering is being done), given that the server you're talking to is probably running on port 2302, so you have to send messages there.

You might have to inquire at the computing office at your university about anything you could do to play games; otherwise you're stuck.