Halo Multiplayer Locks Out

Discussion in 'Games' started by nylock10, Sep 16, 2006.

1. nylock10 macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2006

I bought Halo for Mac a while ago, and I recently stopped playing it for this reason:

I just switched to Comcast Internet, and now whenever I play in a multiplayer game in Halo, the little Connection Error logo appears in the bottom right after about one minute of playing, then gives me the message "The Server Has Closed".

But when I go back into the server browser, the server is still up.

I am unable to play on Halo Multiplayer.

I have Windows installed via Boot Camp, tried the Halo Trial on there and I still get that problem.

I have forwarded all the ports that Halo requires, then I forwarded all ports (using DVS).

Any ideas?

I really think that it has something to do to Comcast.

(iMac 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, Radeon x1600 256MB, Comcast 6.0MB/s Cable Internet, Linksys Router).

Please, I want to play Halo again!! :(
  2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Dump Comcast. :p

Or at least call them up and say "I want to play my game you stupid bastards."
  3. nylock10 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2006
    Well that problem is with dumping comcast...

I live in the hills so I'm "Too far away from our main office" to switch back to Yahoo! SBC or Earthlink, and when we did have Yahoo! SBC and Earthlink, download speeds would be like 10KB/s, I would get kicked out of multiplayer games.

With comcast its like 1MB/s and I don't get kicked, besides Halo...
  4. fblack macrumors 6502a

May 16, 2006
    Hi, its all lagg. I get the same issue with certain servers not all. I have Cox cable. Part of my problem is that I live out in the woods. I have a very fast connection, but I'm at what's considered at "the end of the line." Last house in the woods, my signal to the server that's hosting the game has got to travel a long ways and its not being boosted. The game might show that you have a good ping, but you can still have alot of packet loss. The game hasn't really shut down but the app thinks it has because you cant keep a good connection. You should not have this problem with all servers, just some. You may want to check what your upload speed is, this is more important than download speed. A weak signal+slow upload makes it hard to keep a steady contact with server.

Try hosting a game and see if you have any problems. Let us know how it turns out...

This site has tools for testing the speed of your connection to make sure you are getting what's advertised.

5. nylock10 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2006
  6. nylock10 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2006
    I did a speed test, my download speed is 5,914 kbps (advertised 6,000) or 729KB/s

Upload speed:

286 kbps (advertised 384) or 35.9KB/s

I am 27.7% Worse than an average user on comcast.net.

Other days, it seems as though the internet is faster, I do speed checks and the download and upload speeds are way beyond their advertised rate.
  7. fblack macrumors 6502a

May 16, 2006

Ok so your connection works. But being 27% worse than the average user makes me wonder if there's something else on Comcasts side. Again it might be that your home connection is far from Comcasts nearest router and you might be experiencing packet loss (lost or incomplete data) and that's why you get dumped.

Again is this an occurrence that happens with some servers you are trying to play or all? If this is happening with many servers you are trying to get into then it should also happen with multiplayer in other games like COD also. If it is then I'd say its a Comcast issue. You might have a cable in the ground somewhere that has a kink that they need to work on. I had that happen to me when someone did some construction near me. I had other problems and finally Cox adjusted my upload speed just a bit and most of my lagg (but not all) issues went away.

As far as internet being faster on some days and slower on others it depends who is in your neighborhood and if they are downloading a ton of stuff. Also some IPs watch how much you download and if they notice that you download a ton of data (movies, music etc.) then they actually will throttle back your connection. There are also peak times for internet use you can check internat traffic by continent and even by state here:

Hope it helps, let us know how things progress...sharing of knowledge is always a good thing. :)
  8. nylock10 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2006
    Great news, the problem is fixed!

I went into my routers configuration, and disabled the FireWall and enabled Mac OS X Tiger's Firewall (so I'd still get protected).

Now Halo runs just fine!

Thanks a lot for your help, c'ya.