halo on a G3 iBook

Discussion in 'Games' started by steveolio, Jan 19, 2004.

1. steveolio macrumors member

steveolio

is anyone running halo on their G3 ibook, is it possible? maybe at at 640x480, with no effects turned on, and low res textures, it's possible right?

2. tripswitch macrumors newbie

Barely limps along on my G4 12"powerbook (867Mhz) so I think you might be out of luck there!

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    its not a pretty sight on most laptops, its decent on pbs tho, but ibooks , specialy g3ones will really strugle, if u max out ram i mean u could get some boost but not the full halo experience

4. dethl macrumors regular

I can provide some input here. I just got Halo for hanukkah and I recently bought a iBook G3/900.

Halo does run, but very poorly, even with everything low/off, very annoying. Then again, I only have 128mb of RAM. When I get my stick of 512mb in this Thursday, I'll post an update.

5. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Yes please. That would be great

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

hell, i found it pathetic on a 20" imac. ive learned to accept this game as a xbox game.

iJon

7. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

The comment about the 20" iMac brings back a particular experience for me.

Tony Hawk 4 came preinstalled on my eMac. It didn't run so hot, so I figure I'd try it on the 20" iMac @ CompUSA.

Man did it ever make me feel better when I noticed that it ran absolutely no better on the iMac than it did on my eMac (And possibly worse)

8. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I've also been reading, and I thought of two things:

1) I was going to purchase Halo for my eMac but the Halo support page over @ Macsoft says that there are background issues and that it will be fixed in an upcoming ATI driver release. (I wonder when this will be out and how I will get it? Hmm.)

2) Macsoft should really release a Halo demo so we can try it out before plunking down $50 for a game that possibly won't work on our Macs.

9. digitalgiant macrumors regular

The reason Macsoft wont put out a demo is they know halo runs like crap on most systems. Neo,, dont bother playing it on your eMac, we have the same computer and i get about 20fps on mine. Its playable but not all thats its cranked up to be. Its waaaaaaaay to short too. i beat it about 7 hours. Halo has got to be the most over hyped game EVER!! But it is still fun to run over people with the warthog in online games.

10. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

a dual 1.25 is a minimum for playing modern games I guess. ans even a dual isnt all that great.

11. steveolio thread starter macrumors member

steveolio

i've got 640 Mb of RAM on my G3 iBook, any hope, i'm sure someone has tried Halo on a similar system, anyone?

12. Adurbe macrumors member

it works well enough 4 me

i have a G3 900 ibook, 256mb ram

it runs smoothly enough for me, obviously your not gonna get the same fps as a g5 but hey iBooks are cheaper ;-)

it does however ocasionally lag when the screen is full of 'baddies' but picks up again quick enough that your not shot and still get the kill.

I do warn however it DOES lag playing a lan game against other players on windows, thats 3 opponents and a ping of 16 so its not the connection

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I had no idea you could even get G3/900s with 128 MB. I thought all the 900s came with 256!

14. morgan-e macrumors member

i do not see why people have so many problems with this game. with no other apps running i can play this game with effects about mid-range with 1024x768 (my powerbooks native resolution) just fine, no lag.

15. RubberChicken macrumors regular

RubberChicken

Re: it works well enough 4 me

I find it will even lag on my Xbox on some of the very busy scenes. Snowing outside with lots of other action.

16. RubberChicken macrumors regular

RubberChicken

You're just baiting us, right?