halo on the ibook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by AP_piano295, Apr 7, 2005.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

im buying an ibook and wondering if halo will run well on it im not worried about eye candy just smooth framerate.

also if it wont run smooth on the current ibook how will it do with the vid card boost apples talking about?

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

It runs okay, but in big battles with lots of baddies in a big area, it really starts to drag. And even RAM can't help you here; my 1.2GHz 12" iBook's RAM is maxed out at 1.25GB.

For the most part, Halo is playable on medium/low settings, but don't expect Xbox quality!

If the new iBooks coming out have better graphics cards, I'll be selling this iBook. The graphics card is the weakest part of the iBooks, IMO.

3. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Why not buy a powerbook? I have a 15" PB maxed out with 128 VRAM card and it works okay, except when a flood of Floods attack me. Like what Hemingray stated, when there's lots of action going on, then it drags. And DON'T EXPECT X-BOX QUALITY.

The 1.5.1 update helped a lot and gave more servers online! Had a great time online last night. Played till 2 am!!!

4. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Because the PB is more expensive. During single player, you'll probaly want it on lowest settings. Multiplayer might be able to go on medium resolution. That's how I run it on my my iBook. I have a 933 MHz machine and 640 MB of RAM. It doesn't run smooth as silk, but it's decent. I used to play it all the time before I got Halo 2. Maybe I should go back and play the orginal some more...

5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

It will run ok. Don't expect anything spectacular from the graphics.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Halo is a really really bad port-of-a-port, from x-box to PC, then from PC to Mac, that was done in about a month and a half....meaning that it is terrible. No computer's graphics performance should be judged by Halo. Use something that is legitimately well made, like UT2k3 or 4, WoW, or Quake 3.

7. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

2nd generation Halo

Yes, Halo is no way to compare platforms but Piano wants to play that game specifically.

As for the game being a second generation port, there is irony in the fact that originally it was a Mac game. This was before Bungie sold out to Microsoft and re-wrote the game as an X-Box title. I hope there is a Bizarro World out there where Halo runs best on the Mac.

8. lordmac macrumors regular

Not only that the port from xbox to pc was really bad too and then the port from that to mac was really bad as well creating an unholy monster of a game port that really is god awful. :rolleyes:

9. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

alot

alot more expensive

10. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

Don't expect xbox quality? Console quality (relative to pc) atm is total crap. The only thing that might make a console look ok is that consoles normally use a tv - low resolution and very blurry, but it acts like a form of anti aliasing.
    The current xbox is using a 733 MHz intel processor - not very speedy when compared with a modern computer.

11. risc macrumors 68030

risc

You aren't seriously saying that a notebook with a graphics card as BAD as the one in the iBook is comparable to a modern console? I guess the fact that you bring up the processor speed means you really don't know much about consoles, oh well...

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The post he's replying to says a 128 MB PowerBook, not an iBook.

13. risc macrumors 68030

risc

/me slaps self in the head!

14. chv400 macrumors 6502

My friend has a 1.2 ghz iBook with the 9200 and 32 vRAM he does Halo just fine even though it does the lag thing in campaign he only really cares about multi player. he gets good frame rates with the vertex shaders on so you can at least the the flames and explosions. He can even host. Halo on the iBook is okay and i know it does alot better than my machine (Halo is palyable on a 600 mhz G4).

15. socamx macrumors 6502

What do you consider reasonable framerates? Everyone has their own opinions as to what is acceptable. My experience was early in 10.3, with no patches, and it was no where near acceptable. I've long since uninstalled so I'm not sure what it runs like with recent os patches and game patches.

PS2 is 300 mhz and I must say, God of War and GT4 look damn impressive...and a lot better than most things for xbox and some modern games...

GameCube is 485 mhz and Resident Evil 4, Metriod 1/2 are some of the most impressive games I've seen in awhile...

Console 'beauty' has nothing to do with speed, but how well the developers know what they are doing.

16. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

The consoles are dedicated too games. They are not running other things like a computer is. That said, games will run and look better.

17. AppleinJapan macrumors regular

I have an ibook G4 1.2 Ghz with 512 mb ram.....I play Halo and I love it !!
    I do play it on almost the lowest settings but its a great game :D

18. hogman macrumors member

hogman

i think wer all just gana have to face it guy. the mac just want desind to suport a game of halo's calaber. now mabe if the action wasint so fast pased. or if the grafics wernt as awinspiering. then it might work. but then who would want to buy it.

19. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

roughly 24

i belive 24 frames per second is when it becomes perfectly smooth to the human eye anything above is overkill
    course 22-23 would be fine