Halo or UT 2004?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ijimk, May 16, 2005.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Just wanted to get some opinions on which is better game. I have and play UT 2004 all the time, but was curious about halo, what do you all think? :confused:

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

There different. If you like a faster paced game then i think UT is better. Halo isn't as fast, but Halo is still good, because sometimes it requires a little more strategy instead of just run and gun.

3. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i mostly play UT2K4 but i love to play Blood Gultch (Halo map) when i get a free moment. :D

4. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Bah!!!

Unreal Tournament 2004. Other then a better physics engine I really dont see whats so much better about Halo 2.

5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Really. I think UT2004 is and will be one of the best fps around... Halo 2 has excellent graphics and physics engine, but still, it is not UT2004.

Even doom 3's shining graphics are not enough to surpass the overall quality of UT2004.

6. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Ah boy...

If it's computer gaming we're talking about here - then UT2k4 wins, hands down (even though UT2k4 took what made UT fun and completely threw it out the window in favor of 'Quake 3-based' rocket deathmatch). UT2k4 is kind of 'Quake 3.5', more than it is 'UT'. And as a game, I'd say it falls flat on its face when being stacked up against 'Halo'. Not to mention that it flat-out stole the vehicle designs from 'Halo'.

Although, when it comes to UT2k4, the PC version performs better for me. Luckily, UT doesn't require DX to run and is more than playable on a Mac (except for some ONS maps / weather effects, which choked my Quicksilver).

Let me warn you: The ports of Halo to both the PC and Mac side of things is extremely poor. Terrible in fact. Not even worth downloading and keeping...

Doom 3 for the mac? No thanks. Even worse.

Honestly, I can tell you, without bias - that the only way you can enjoy these games is on the Xbox.

I own macs, PCs and an Xbox. I own the games for all platforms. Ironically, the Xbox handles Doom 3 the best (doesn't choke - although - they removed a few 'playable' parts). And of course, Halo is only worthwhile on the Xbox.

With the up-and-coming generation of consoles - it's starting to become apparent where the future of gaming lies. If I were you, I'd invest in an Xbox (or whatever suits your fancy) - if you played a whole lot of video games...

Macs are really nice personal computers - but they're not so great when it comes to game devs. :(

7. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Am I the only one who doesn't like UT at all? I installed it on my PC and played it for about 10 minutes then I deleted it. I was so bored with it. All you do it run around and shoot people. BORING.

Halo is soooooo much better. It has a story. And it's a very good story. The whole thing about the Flood made me keep playing for hours on end. Halo is more immersive than UT2K4 in my opinion. I haven't played Halo 2 yet but I'll buy it when I get my XBox 360.

8. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I'm a fan of UT2k4... In my opinion the vehicles are better in Halo though... That being said, the performance of UT2k4 on any machine beats Halo and Doom3.

9. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Funny...I have Halo, UT24K, and Doom 3, and they all run fine on my Mac, and each is enjoyable for what it is. I don't see how anyone can possibly enjoy wrestling with a gamepad compared to the keyboard/mouse combo...they have to resort to "aiming assist" tricks which just spoils everything. Plus you have to use a TV and low resolution graphics, which is bad for those times when you're trying to pick somebody/something off in the far distance. (At least that part will be fixed for next-gen consoles.) I do enjoy some console gaming, but there's no way I'd play Doom3 or Halo on a console if you have a decent enough Mac.

--Eric

10. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I played (and beat) Doom 3 on my PC. It was an awesome game but has no replayability whatsoever. You beat it and that's it. You play it again but everything is the same and you can't progress through the game any different than the first time. The game did scare the ***** out me though.

A game that I really enjoyed on the PC was FarCry. This game had incredible physics (can rival Half-Life 2), good AI, and amazing graphics. Another favorite is Hitman Contracts.

I hate sports games. They are about as boring as they come. Driving games are okay. I want to kill myself when it comes to RPG's. I tried playing KOTOR and I wanted to slit my wrists. If it takes 20 minutes and a million key combo's to do something so menial, it's crap.

11. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

I agree entirelly. I still dont get whats up with all these FPS console players. Have they not tried it on a computer or what? I can tell you that I can easily beat the pants off any Xbox FPS player with my Dual G4, my Kensington mouse, and my generic keyboard. :)

12. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Unreal Tournament: All you do is shoot people. BORING
    Halo: You shoot people... but there's a story. Oh thats nice.

You judge by that!! Nevermind the gameplay, nevermind the user interface, how the game works, the options, the graphics...
    naw.

I'm going to have to agree. I like UT2k4 MUCH better, however, its suprising how much a good storyline can improve a game. Call of Duty for example. Compared to Medal of Honor, the storyline is great. Thats one of the reasons like it so much. However, when I play UT2k4 its not because I want to read a good story. I play to test my skillz against players all over the world. ONS anybody>?

13. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I just downloaded the UT2k4 demo to see how it played on Tiger. It played like hell on my iBook in Panther (I have a 933MHz G4)... but on Tiger it plays like a dream... not one single slow down. May have to buy it now.

I owned Halo for awhile but it played even worse than the UT2k4 demo did, so I got rid of it. Anyone know if Tiger improves it as well?

14. Flickta macrumors 6502

Firefights in Halo are much more realistic then in UT2K4. It's not a cybersport, it's a life. Sort of.
    My vote goes for Halo (though its story is somewhat "hidden" compared to previous bungie games)

15. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

damn had to make me pick huh?! ;) I like Unreal 2004 better, it gets really fun and love it. Altough Halo is really really good to.. But Unreal 2004 plays and is better...