Halo Pixel Shaders

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nermal, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I recently reinstalled OS X and today I reinstalled Halo. When I turn pixel shaders on, the screen gets all garbled. This has never happened before. Any ideas?

10.4.2, 9800 Pro, Halo 1.5.2

2. chv400 macrumors 6502

Did it happen before in Halo 1.5.1?
    Try installing that version to see if it is any better sometimes updates can cause problems rather than fix them. It happened to me when I went to 1.5 but then 1.5.1 fixed it.

3. applekid macrumors 68020

Have you restarted your computer lately? Because if you haven't, maybe there's some junk leftover in your VRAM that should be cleared out. Certain graphics intensive programs (like games) usually seem to get garbled with funny graphics or some artifacts from things like the Finder or other apps if the VRAM hasn't been flushed recently or correctly by another program. A restart always helps.

And are you sure it's just with Pixel Shaders? Any overclocking or modifying the graphics card lately? Any problems in other games? Try the Halo demo?

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, I've rebooted and installed 1.5.1, still not working. It seems to work fine with 1.0.2 (the version on the CD) though.

The problem only occurs when I enable pixel shaders. The card is standard and hasn't been modified in any way (other than an official ROM update, which I installed way back last year). I haven't noticed problems in other games, but then again I haven't been playing much recently.

Any other suggestions, or should I try contacting MacSoft?

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Here's an example of what it looks like.

Edit: It seems that if I wait a while, it fixes itself :)
    I've now played through the entire first level without any problems whatsoever.

Attached Files: