Halo problems

Discussion in 'Games' started by JLaFrance, Aug 24, 2004.

1. JLaFrance macrumors member

May 24, 2004
    While playing halo, if i get hit by needlers, or the laser turrets or the montor's drone things the screen goes completely black (this is bad when ur trying to fight things). Also, when i pick up a health the screen goes black and then returns to noormal. Anyone else heard of this problem?

2. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    I've never had problems with Halo, though since I've found the Xbox version to be superior to the laptop I don't play it often. Mainly for online play.

Anyway, what version of Halo do you have? What hardware are you running it on? That might help diagnose the problem.
  3. JLaFrance thread starter macrumors member

May 24, 2004
    Version: 1.02
    Harware: 1GHz G4, 768 MB ram, 32 MB vram, OS 10.3.5
  4. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Upgrade to, it's a huge improvement performance-wise, but I have no idea whether it'll solve your problem. Say clear of 1.0.5 though, it's a disaster.
  5. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Well it seems they ansered your questions, but in General Halo for the Mac isn't the greatest running game. But of course I updated to 1.05 (which Nermal said wass a mess) before I even started playing, so that could just be the version of Halo I have.
  6. vraxtus macrumors 65816

Aug 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Which video card?

GeFX 5200 cards have terrible redraw and artifacts in Halo... most noticeably in fog effects. You may be seeing a result of this, but I've never had that problem.
  7. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Feb 6, 2004
    I notice the screen going black when i play halo sometimes. It seems to do it whenever it drops below 5fps and there's alot of graphical effects. It's like halo gives up on drawing when it gets bad. it only does it to me when one of those covenant bastard blue guys wacks me with his gun (yeah yeah... on the xbox, they never get close enough, but with this shiiity port...)

So yeah, the screen goes black when it gives up because it cannot draw fast enough. The fix? ATI 9800 pro or a nvidia 6800 Ultra. I'm using a 9600 pro, and i am left wanting. But i have high expectations too...