Halo Question from a Mac Newbie

Discussion in 'Games' started by MNagel, Aug 13, 2004.

1. MNagel macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I just switched about 2 weeks ago and am still figuring things out. Ever since I updated to OS 10.3.5 halo has been acting very strangely. When it loads I can still see the dock and the title bar at the top of the screen. This won't go away unless I click the halo icon on the dock. Now when I try and play I see the mouse cursor in the middle of the screen. Not the halo cursor but the standard one. It won't go away.... very annoying http://forums.macrumors.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=18#. Any ideas on how to make this go away??

Thanks ahead of time

2. MNagel thread starter macrumors newbie

oops sorry, don't know how that random link got into the middle of my post. oh well.

3. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I had this problem very recently as well... however I think it was due to an incorrect resolution assignment... play around with your resolutions and restart the app a few times... it should be ok once you configure your resolutions a few times.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Try repairing permissions. After the 10.3.5 update, for some reason, everything related to the Dock had bad permissions.

5. MNagel thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I do this? Again I'm new to mac.

The resolution trick worked, but now I still have to click on the dock to get rid of it. Also I would rather play in a higher resolution, this method forces me to lower it

6. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

this is just a simple mans work around but...since you can move the mouse at the time when you click on the halo app in the doc means that at that moment you have control of the mouse...so why not leave the mouse down by the doc as the game starts? maybe it will stay down there once the game loads and you start playing.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Open Disk Utility, which is in /Applications/Utilities. Click your hard drive in the sidebar, then click Repair Disk Permissions.

8. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

To me, it sounds like you have the game "windowed". When you have a game do that, it basically means that its been taken out of fullscreen so that you can access other applications (for example a messaging service to talk to someone about the game you are playing) without quitting the game. Because you can still see the menubar and dock, and you have to click the Halo icon in the dock to get to it, this is almost certainly in windowed mode. Playing with resolutions might work, or you could try hitting apple-m or apple-h. or maybe there is a 'fullscreen' option to check in your prefferences. Apple-m worked in older games (like diablo ii) to go to windowed mode, and apple-h is the key command to hide an application. It works to window games such as Call of Duty Medal of Honor.

Good luck

9. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

If I apple-tab out of it and then back in it gets rid of the problem. This is much simpler than changing the resolution. While its not running perfect this is certianly a workable solution. Just thought I'd let you know if anyone else was having the same problem. Thanks for all your help

I changed my name, sorry if that confused anyone.