Halo sux!

Discussion in 'Games' started by lewdvig, Oct 27, 2003.

1. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Well it doesn't suck. But it does not live up to the hype. I played it from start to finish on Saturday.

On a 3.36 GHz P4, 1 GB DDR 400 RAM, and a RADEON 9800 Pro it ran kind of poorlyat 10*7. This has been reported before.

It never once felt like it was running at 50fps. Despite what the hardware review sites say. I tried all VSync settings and 30fps capped. No Vsync felt the smoothest.

I thought the story was kind of lame. The team AI was cool, but I squashed a few marines when they would not move out of the way of the Warthog buggy and the tank.

I think it is about as good as RtCW or Max Payne. A Half Life beater it is not.

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

It rocks on XBox. I don't think it's fair to compare it to hype from three years ago when it was first meant to come to our computer systems. Look at it through those eyes, not comparing it to modern games. I love the gameplay and AI.

As for FPS, I don't know what I get with my XBox, but it's smooth and impressive.

Dan

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I agree, it is terrible. I played it for a few hours on my AMD 2600+ and a Gainward FX5600. It was choppy the whole time, even on 800x600. I couldn't play it anymore, it just sucked. I'm pretty upset that i payed for it.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

well we all know that the P4's are a lot faster then macs so if it runs like crap on P4's im sure our version will only be slower since Mac hardware is way behind AMD/Intel

5. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Don't be so negative...don't forget, this game is by bungie, who until they were bought out by microsoft gave us classics like pathways into darkness and marathon. I read somewhere that Halo was originally demoed on a B&W G3 with full frame rates...of course microsoft would take it over and cause it to skip frames even on its own hardware.

There's still hope that the mac version of this game will run well.

6. jamesatzones macrumors regular

Hopefully the Mac version will be good, I have been waiting for ever. The Xbox version was ok, though I donated my Xbox to my nephew so I can't play the thing anymore. Is there any games out there like Halo that someone would recommend, I have Unreal Tourn 03 and America's Army, but I want some more action...

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Medal of Honor are a couple of good ones

8. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

I've heard that the PC version is faltering. Halo is 10x beter on Xbox. The controls are perfect for it.

9. lewdvig thread starter macrumors 65816

The original Halo demoed on the G3 is a completely different game than the one we have today. Basically everything except the name changed.

To think that the game released on the XBox ever ran on a 300MHz G3 is naive or stupid.

For some immediate Mac gaming kicks:
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein - IMO the best FPS since Half Life
    Max Payne - a classic
    Giants - Planet Moon studios make memorable games
    Medal of Honour - Macs are not getting Call of Duty (yet), this is the next best thing.