Halo: The Movie

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. amholl macrumors 6502

3. BarfBag macrumors member

Microsoft's getting desprite. Running out of ideas. :rolleyes:

4. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It's not a bad idea, the storyline is more interesting than a lot of crap coming out of Hollywood these days. The person who wrote 28 Days was hired to write the script for Halo which is promising.

Microsofts own demands may sink the project though, they are demanding a lot of money and complete creative control. If they leave bungie in charge of the creative elements though, it may not be a bad idea.

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have to agree that he story line has potential and if, like you said, Bungie had the creative license, it could be quite good.

On another note - the track record for video-games-turned-movie isn't good, so who knows.

D

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Super Mario Brothers
    Double Dragon
    Street Fighter
    Final Fantasy
    Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life

all ghey movies...

Up next, Doom and Halo

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

hey street fighter wasn't as you call it "ghey" how the hell do you pronounce that anyways o_O

i actually liked that movie.

but yes video games into movies normally suck, even games into animes suck *shudders at crappy FF movies* but FF games suck too, so maybe if they made an anime on a good game they could have a good movie

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i don't know the whole halo games ... a friend gave me his version (pc) and i wasn't very impressed even when controlling it with mouse and keyboard .. way to generic.. space marines/soldiers vs. aliens is perhaps a little overdone .. not only in video games but in movies as well

at least Doom 3 had space marines vs creatures from hell and that wasn't so much better

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

(a) it was ghey as hell.
    (b) I bet you wouldn't admit to that under your real name!

10. efoto macrumors 68030

LMAO, that is great skunk, awesome comments.

I believe it is pronounced "ga-hay" with an extremely sarcastic tone, at least by me that is the implied meaning. Like saying gay but attempting to be less offensive, I'm not convinced it is any less offensive though....

Street Fighter was not awesome, but it was good game-into-movie entertainment, about what I expected. The list has been pretty poor however, too bad games don't have the following of comics to get good directors and teams behind them to make successful movies. I think there are a lot of great games that could go movie, but lack the support. *cough Starcraft cough* not realy, but I had to say it :p :D

As far as Halo as a movie, it has already been done with the Aliens series, as well as essentially AvP if count Predators as marines :rolleyes:, pretty much the same idea though. It has been beat to death already, but that said I would probably go see it regardless but that is more due to my addiction to theatres than it being a good movie. I love going to the movies, it is the only place you can see really REALLY large previews :p I basically pay for the previews.

11. deanbo macrumors regular

Wolfenstein Next?

It seems that everybody is jumping on the "lets make a movie based on a game" thing. Final Fantasy, (which I thought was pretty good), Resident Evil, (again, not too shabby), Doom and now possibly Halo.

So will Return To Castle Wolfenstein be next, or maybe Quake? Either of these titles could be quite good if done properly I think.

12. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I have to agree. The Resident Evil movies were quite good in my opinion and captured the story of the game very well.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Where Eagles Dare? Probably the closest thing you could get to Wolfenstein without actually making an official film.

14. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

I hope they base the film on the multi-player version of Halo. They'll be a whole scene based on 'Blood Gulch' in CTF mode. It'll just be people running each other over and throwing granades at their team mates.

Then the Halo geezers will randomly pause and jump around, with everyone shouting ****ing lag!

15. efoto macrumors 68030

I forgot those were game based (not sure what I thought they were) but I also liked them quite a bit. They were not excellent movies IMO, but the good kind of action that I don't mind watching multiple times. Even though I know what is going to happen, I still find them entertaining to watch repeatedly. Final Fantasy was pretty cool and had some pretty cutting-edge cinematics in it for the time, I liked that one too.

deanbo you mentioned Doom, am I completely forgetting a movie or did I miss something?

16. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Don't forget people crouching over each others dead bodies!

I'd like to see a Halo movie though.

It would be sad if it sucked though. Cause the Halo story line has a bit of potential.

17. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Halo does actually have a storyline beyond the game. Of course the game has to rely on the same elements that all games do, but there is a bit of mystery as to what has happened and what is going to happen.

The only problem is, Microsoft are releasing so little of the storyline at a time so that they can churn out Halo sequels for a long time. In the first game we found out all sorts of stuff, the next installment was nothing more than a battle between two groups that introduced little in the way of storytelling.

And the stupid underwater creature was a waste of time as well. I hope they don't screw it up in the end.

18. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

There's no Doom movie yet, but it's planned to make one.

19. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

They already have something like that. Red Vs. Blue. It's actually really funny.

20. efoto macrumors 68030

Great, another bad movie that will take up a screen from something that could be decent (however not likely from Hollywood) and I know I'll waste 8 dollars on it just like all the other movies I go to see, just because I like to go see movies. Oh well, I'll start saving now for the onslaught of bad-must-see game movies due out sometime in the summer of '09

21. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'd never seen that before....damn, its quite good, but there aren't any archives that I could see. I'd love to start from the beginning...

D

22. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

RVB is absolute gold.

They have a rolling archive which changes every week.

The show is so funny and hardly anything has happened in like 40 episodes, yet it's still good.

23. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Shouldn't this thread be in the Mac Game section?

24. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Excellent - so I'll just have to wait until it gets back to 1 - any idea when that is?

D

25. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm