Halo Tips Wanted -- Just Starting

Discussion in 'Games' started by bobber205, Sep 19, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Since w/ my macbook, I now have a PC that has a net connection.

I tried playing Halo online but couldn't get into a "fair" or "basic" game. How do I tell if a game isn't being modified, aka all rocket launcher or something like that?

Thanks. :cool:

2. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

In the gamespy lobby the server names often tell you if its modded or not, like !!BBT MODS etc. There are many server names that explicitly say no mods in title. Easiest way is when you get into a game is to ask if its modded or not...:) Once you get familiar with the maps you will know what's modded or not real quick--i.e. tanks flying thru the air, people shooting at you from places normally not accessible. After awhile you will find certain servers with "regulars" (players) you will get comfortable with modded or no mod.

Good luck hope it helps...:cool:

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Games labeled "Bungie" are not modded and cycle through a lot of maps.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Hate modded games...pricks jumping into space and hauling bombs at you from miles away...that annoys me. What is the fun in a modded games.

Bless

5. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

There are some that are absolutely ridiculous. But there are others that just add a few more ports and allow you to get up on cliffs. I enjoy playing sniper games in these. If you've played Halo a lot and gotten bored, the modds just give a new twist and freshen things up a bit. :cool:

6. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

7. harveypooka macrumors 65816

So why would people be paying him to teach them to play? Novelty factor?!

8. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

i am pretty new at halo to.
    anybody know any good mods?

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    There's no such thing as a "god mod." Unless you're playing with everyone who's completely modded as well. Search Google. I'm sure you'll find more info than we could hope to give you.

10. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

Personally i like the BBT Modds on the $$ servers. Some of the weapons are modified, so like the shotgun is a bit nastier, but the rocket launcher is a bit weaker. Oh, yea and the banshees can be brought down easier too, so a warning to all banshee whores who normally spend the entire game running people down. LOL.

the server !![$$]!!_BBT_Mods_MAX2 Dangerous for danger canyon is pretty fun you should check it out...;)

Warning if you play alot of Mods your normal Halo skills will suffer some...

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Asking for tips on how to play FPS games online is useless. People get defensive or just downright ludicrous with cryptic messages. Some normal tips would be absolutely great. Elitism is ripe in this arena, people who teach themselves are protective over what they've learnt and will offer no advice.

I can't really offer any tips myself. I played Halo against people like me, just regular folks who have beaten single player. really gotta get a nice Halo 1 LAN party going again... any Mancs up for that?

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO SNIPE!!! I can't stress that enough. I find playing snipeing to be the most enjoyable of any kind of halo game. The feeling you get when you find a person on your scope, after waiting seconds, maybe even minutes, to try and snipe someone. The surprise, and maybe even a little bit of horror when someone finally discovers your hiding place. personally, it scares the crap out of me when I'm looking around, and when I least expect it, BANG! The unmistakable sound of a sniper rifle.

Sniping is an important asspect in a halo game, and knowing how to do it well will help you in your quest for WORLD DOMINATION!:D

13. Merranvo macrumors newbie

lol, if this actually bumps, cool.

Yes there is. The problem is that the 'server' runs the program and handles everything from player position to bullet decals, so any 'god mod' has to be server run. It doesn't matter if you don't have it either.

Don't you mean BSism? Half of the 'good' people are really just noob killers. (Yes, you are good if you shoot the most frequently killed person). Or preform nooby ways of mass slaughter (IE. Spawn Killing or Vehicular Homicide [mind you, killing vehicles is both easy and fun]).

And now, why snipping sucks. In an evenly ballanced halo game, snipers die more often. Seriously. If everything is evenly ballanced (and that includes no spawn killing) killing a sniper is easier then killing a ghost (okay, situational, but for the most part, prethrowing a grenade takes them out pretty quick.), primarly because most snipers are zoom obsessive. (Meaning they don't fire if they can't zoom in). Because snipers know that they are very vunerable to attack (I don't think the motion tracker shows when they are zoomed in (recheck?)) they resort to spawn killing. A very low way to increase their kill score. Sniper Spawnkilling is almost impossible to stop due to the facts that

a) Jumping HELPS snipers, makes you more visible and will do nothing to prevent a snipe.
    b) Spawn Killing Snipers know exactally where all the spawn locations are and can fire at you within 2 seconds of your spawn.
    c) Server Lag often has you standing in the location for a second before you can move.

Now playing snipers seems to have people assume it is allright to get comfy and spawnkill everyone who pops up. Furthermore, they reduce the health to 50% and kill the sheilds to allow 'perfect snipes', the point of snipers is the same as rockets, mass killing of individuals in a single hit type fashion. The description set forward by Cassie is highly inaccurate, often you see the sniper but he saw you first (Excuse me if you really are that... not good). In fact, if you simply stay still and look at the field you will notice the clearly visible blue (or red). But you are visible too, and often they will shoot at you before your shot gets off.

Therefore, the best thing to to when you see a sniper attempting you is to wait exactally 1 second then duck, most of these 'pro' snipers have their reticles locked on your head (and there are a few 'clear' aimbots out there) so ducking causes their miss. Hell, strafting makes a much harder to hit target then jumping.

Finally, ever notice that the majority of snipeathons are CTF games? This is to allow them to just 'rack up' the kills, and keep all the spawners in a single place. Hell, they don't even want you to win, often 'collecting' spawn kills over a 2 hour period (a good team slayer game should only be 15 min. That is enough to get 25 kills and allow a map reset.) I once made a twisted version of 'snipers' where the player has 150% health + sheild so it takes 2-3 shots to kill instead of 1. I loaded the players with pistols and made them invisible to ward off the stand still snipers and prevent those 'perfect aim' snipers who can use the sniper rifle as a close range weapon. Needless to say it was signifigantly more ballanced then any other sniper match I played. spawnkilling was virtually non-existant because there was enough time to move out of the way (you still spawn visible) and those 'people' who spend their time homing in on single 'key' spots. Being 'invisible' doesn't make it impossible, further ranges makes the invisibility texture less visible, but it does keep the combat flowing gaurenteeing less 'field' advantage. Unfortunatly none of the 'pro' snipers stayed for the second match. They said things like 'this is stupid' + 'get rid of the shields' and 'I can't see the players' and more 'get rid of the shields'.

The end run is that sniping is for noobs. It is one of the few 'disiplines' that is virtually impossible to counter as a 'spawn kill' method. Anything from banshee/ghost slamming (Shotgun and pistol for banshee, jump to your left, most of the time they will swoop right. But it is 'visible' when they go down (I have lasted 3min straight simply banshee dodging (and the guy still didn't fire the fuel rod gun)) for the kill. Of course, allways have a plamsma ready because most banshee pilots are crash course dummies all it takes it 1 throw then dodge and they are history. Unfortunatly, grenades have a tendency to bounce off moving objects, and I have found that the 'throw' often takes the cost of your life. (You have to be pretty close for it to be 'gaurenteed'). Ghost is just pre nading, follow it and throw the grenade about an inch (reticle to ghost) away and most of the time the nade explodes making it 'flip' and you can go after it.

And yes, it is worth bumping an old thread to inform the world that sniping sucks.

14. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

when you are about to be run over by a warthog, strafe to the side, NOT jumping!

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Oops, that was a typo. It should have read "good mod," not "god mod."

I think mods are for noobs anyway. If someone can't beat me without modding, stand-bying, or bridging, then they're just a little bitch.