Halo Universal Binary confirmed!

Discussion in 'Games' started by LimeiBook86, May 26, 2006.

1. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I was reading the list of the Universal Binary games list on macguides.com and I decided to send a quick e-mail to MacSoft to see if they were actually working on a universal binary version as rumored. Here's the e-mail reply I got back.

This is good news for me, when I got Halo all I had was my PowerBook and it ran kind of bad so, now with my new Intel Mac I can use my game once again! Yay! :D

2. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yowza!! Now that is good news! I like the sound of that... for sure. :) Thanks.

3. macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Awesome! I can't wait.

4. macrumors 68000

FSAA 24x anyone? :D

5. macrumors regular

keithbennis

Good news

6. macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

??? This thread hasn't been posted on in over a month...:D

Unless...did you hear something new about Halo UB?

7. macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

The UB was destroyed when Halo exploded. :)

8. macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I'm still amazed you're all getting excited about a UB of a 3 year old port of a 5 year old game :rolleyes:

People have even gotten tired of Halo 2...

/troll

9. macrumors 601

eXan

Halo sucks. I hate it and yes, I completed it without cheats.

I thought 6x was max :confused:

10. macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Hah, well you're entitled to your opinion, and it's not some great feat to beat the game without cheats...that is unless you're playing on legendary.

11. macrumors G4

dmw007

JDOG_, you are right- completing Halo on legenday without cheats is a feat. :)

12. macrumors 601

eXan

I didnt try to sound like a hero.

I just know some people say the game sucks but they never touched it.

No, I never completed Halo on Legendary. Why would a person want to run through the game on highest difficulty if he doesnt like this game?

13. macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I'm not flaming you I was just pointing it out. If you think it sucks for a constructive reason than go for it, but I doubt you're gonna get much sympathy in a thread of people who are excited for the UB.

And to answer your question there is no reason to do it if you don't like the game. Also, many people who love the game throw their controller in rage while trying to beat on in legendary. Getting stuck by a grunt from a quarter mile away will do that to a man...

I still stand by my original statement though. Halo 1 is so old these days, it's hard for me to believe people still play it! When I was in college we used XBOX Connect to tunnel games from our laptops to our consoles (in the pre-Live days)...and that seemed like ages ago.

There's pretty much no hope of Halo 2 coming to the Mac though. They're pushing DirectX 10 so hard to move Vista units that Halo 3 will have been out for ages before we see a mac port (if we do...)

14. macrumors regular

mishi

this will be sweet when i get my MBP :D

15. thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Wow...so many replies! Where were you people two months ago when I first started this thread? haha :p

Everyone has their reasons, for me it's simply that I'll be able to play the game again. When the game came out I got it as a gift, I tried it out on my 12" PowerBook G4 (867mhz) but, it was barley playable, I remember playing online with a few friends but, that was a rare event. Now that I have a faster Intel Mac I'll be happy to dust off the Halo CD case and give it whirl. :) So in my eyes, I'm finally getting a good use out of it! :p

16. macrumors 601

eXan

This makes you think how badly the game was optimized to run on the hardware that was available when the game was released. :mad:

However I managed to complete it on a 700 MHz eMac :D

17. thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Yeah, even on my brother's iMac G5 you can feel an overall sluggishness to the game. Oh well...here's hoping that the Universal Binary release runs far better than the PowerPC version! :rolleyes:

18. macrumors G4

dmw007

Glad to hear that you are finally able to fully enjoy playing Halo on your new Intel based Mac LimeiBook86! :)

19. macrumors 6502a

fblack

Odd...it runs well on my QS 933mhz. Pretty smooth actually.:) I still play with my friends on MP, but mostly modded as standard games have gotten boring. We just started playing the New Mombassa Classic map that some nice person ported over from the PC Halo CE--so there's still some life left in this now old game.:p

I'm planning on picking up an intel mac in the next month or two, so its all good news to me.:)

20. thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Well the G4 933 QuickSilver machine had a 64mb AGP nVidia GeForce4 MX video card and my PowerBook has some pathedic 32mb nVidia Go MX. You'd be surprised how much a of a difference 66mhz makes ;) and I'm sure you had more than 640mb of RAM in your G4 haha :D

21. macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

I still play Halo Demo online and it's still fun, never old! Actually, I have GeForce Ti and 2GB of ram and it ran smoothly until 16 peeps with like 6 TANKS, 2 SHEES, and 6 WH! (with mod) That's insane!! BUT FUN!!!

EDIT: I have PowerMac G4 with Dual Processor, 1.42 GHz and it ran just fine on Demo :)

22. macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Funny how we all reply about 2 months later :D

Yeah I have played Halo on my poor eMac and im glad there will be a UB released :) But now I feel good about getting a MacBook Pro, apart from the portable recording center i will use it for.

23. macrumors 68020

Man, that UB is taking freaking forever!! :eek:

I bought a used copy of Halo from a friend prior to the Intel Mac releases. I installed it on my iMac Core Duo as soon as it arrived, and its just too damn choppy. But, I must say it's amazing how good the graphics are with the X1600. It looks almost like Halo 2 (and better than Halo 2 in some places!).

Definitely got some nice eye candy though compared to my previous iMac G4 with its weak specs :)

Really, it's disappointing the rate at which UB's are coming out for older games. I think UT2K4 is like the only major modern game that's older than 6 months that got a UB update.

24. macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Ryan Gordon rocks :)

25. macrumors 68020

The PPC version runs fine. It was optimized quite well. Halo on the Mac needs a decent graphics card, same as the PC version. Sadly, the majority of PPC Macs didn't have decent graphics cards, mostly just the Power Macs (if you specifically bought one, otherwise the default card wasn't the best either). That's really the only factor that accounts for sluggishness (and no, the 5200 in a G5 iMac is certainly not a decent graphics card).

So, a UB of Halo will run well on Intel Macs that have decent graphics cards (Macbook Pro, iMac), and not so well on those with integrated graphics (Macbook, Mini).

--Eric