Halo Updater not working

Discussion in 'Games' started by osprey76, Sep 14, 2004.

1. osprey76 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I got the Halo 1.5.1.3 updater. I can run the app, but it searches for a while and then tells me it can't find the file it was looking for. I have Halo 1.5 installed. Did I miss another update in between that it's looking for? Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks.

2. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Same thing happened to me.

The fix for me?

Exit, ran it again.

Worked for me. Good luck!

3. osprey76 thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried that and also ran it after a restart. Neither worked. Do you know what version of Halo you had before updated? I might try reinstalling Halo, but that'll take a while.

4. applekid macrumors 68020

At worst, you'll have to reinstall, and maybe patch up a to a few versions.

But, maybe you should try moving the Halo folder into the Applications folder.

5. switchedanhappy macrumors regular

I got the same update and had the same error message. I ended up reinstalling it, and for some reason was able to upgrade from the original version to 1.05 directly, but 1.05.3 or whatever you said? maybe not. I'll see what I can find on it.

edit: http://www.macsoftgames.com/products/halo/support/MacSoft-Halo-Support.html

updated from the in box version direct to this no probs. ( just remember: reinstallation means going back to default controls.)

6. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

It's funny, I've had a problem with every single Halo update. Usually just trying again or something stupid makes it work. Halo for Mac = Certainly not perfected.

Hopefully Halo 2 for Mac will be way more optimized.

7. osprey76 thread starter macrumors 6502

Halo for anything that isn't the XBox certainly isn't optimized. Bungie is touting completely new graphics effects for the next one. Since the second one has been completely conceived since Bungie joined Microsoft it's even more likely the game will use features that are XBox specific. On the other hand, it's been a couple of years so at least computers (esp. GPUs) have gotten a bit more powerful in the mean time.

8. a2daj macrumors member

Not necessarily. No Halo settings are stored within the Halo folder. The preferences and saved games are split between your ~/Library/Preferences and ~/Documents folders so even if you reinstall, your settings should still remain. However, if you wipe everything out, including the prefs and saved games, then yes, a reinstallation means going back to default controls.

9. switchedanhappy macrumors regular

interesting a2. I'll have to investigate that. and btw halo 2 will probably NEVER come out for anything but xbox. M$ doesn't want anyone to make money off their next little cashcow but them. (however fun their cashcow may be. all i need now is to renew my xbox live subscription, and get an xbox g- adaptor, and...)

10. Rolerboy macrumors newbie

Problem with the Halo updater

I too had a problem with the updater. It installed fine without any problems on both my G4 PM and PB (DP 867 and 1 GHz).

I have the machines configured with a user account called HALO and it wouldn't let me install it under any other account by the administrator.

After doing that, Halo would not start under the halo account until I started it at least once in the admin account (made me play it once in the admin account) then everything worked like a charm (snap!) look! more than 100 servers!

Hope that helps someone