Halo V UT2004?

Discussion in 'Games' started by eclipse, Jan 13, 2006.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

I only have the old Xbox to compare Halo with UT, I've never played Halo on a PC or Mac.
    The thing that frustrates me is my son was awarded this Xbox just this month as part of a charity thing (he was very sick last 2 years and qualified for a few charity goodies) but just as they are dishing out the Xbox 360, Microsoft decide to look good and give a bunch of kiddies their old stock of the older Xbox.

Oh well, beggers can't be choosers.

So now I have this Xbox, and of course I went and got a "Xbox Classic" (already saying it's an old game) Halo.

And you know what I find? It doesn't even have bots in team mode! So if I want to have a half decent game I either have to buy 2 more controllers and then play on an itty bitty quarter TV screen, or give up.

UT2004 seems to have more vehicles one can use, and of course you can hold all the weapons at once. I like that. It's also got the redeemer, which has had moments of absolute hysterical screaming when doing multiplayer against a mate. Also, you can command the bots to cover you, jump in a tank as your gunner, etc.

So for my money, I'll play through the Halo Campaign with my son, but save for a few "hide and seek" games of Capture the Flag... halo is no good for multiplayer.

UT2004 rocks, and I'm heading out to an internet cafe soon with some mates to celebrate my boy coming off chemo... and UT is going to be the game of choice.

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I totally agree. Halo is crap. Yes, it has the storyline, but what of it? I don't like this story anyway. Multiplayer has no bots at all. Whats so fun in playing 1on1 in big maps, like most of them are? Even Battlefield 2 is more fun 1on1, cuz it has some awesome vehicled (helicopters and such :))

UT2004, on the other hand, is an AWESOME multiplayer game. Even is you dont have a DSL or cable internet (like myself) it still a LOT of fun. Bots are extemely well. They have 8 skill levels, so u can start from novice and perfect yourself on godlike, then come to some computer club ot internet cafe and kick other "players" of the arena :D. This is my favorite game so far (ut2007 is not out yet ;))

One warning though... Godlike is extremely dufficult with a lot of bots! I can easily beat Xan on that skill in 1on1 match (score is usually 20:0 :D), but not more. In other gametypes I play on Masterful.

3. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    now i love my UT2K4 (just got home from playing all night at my friends) but if you play Halo multiplayer on a good map with 16 players (which Halo 1 is not Xbox Live compatible, I play the Mac version online) then it is really fun. Halo 2 on Xbox Live (main reason for breaking down and buying one used off a friend) is really awesome.

4. crachoar macrumors 6502a

You gamers amaze me...

First of all, two completely different games. 'Halo' is somewhat realistic (when it comes to sci-fi at least) in that you may only carry two weapons. This adds strategy to the game, and makes things more reasonable. In 'Halo', you don't run at a million miles per hour. You don't have 'adrenaline' super-moves. You can't 'bunny-hop'.

UT is the same, tired, dying franchise that it has been since 2002.

'UT2k4' steals everything that was great about 'Halo' and adds it to the stolen 'Team Quake III Arena' gametype that they 'borrowed' from ID. Epic rushed
    'UT2k3' to the market. It was essentially a 'Q3:A' rip-off with a few extra bells and whistles. Essentially, UT has been reduced to rocket splash damage (Q3:A).

If you go back and play 'UT' (as in, 1999 - as in - the good UT) - you'll see that they're completely different games. I'm amazed they were even made by the same studio.

Glad you enjoy the game, and honestly, more power to you.

But don't crap on an excellent game ('Halo') because it came out first and innovated (on a tight schedule no less) and because it's different. It says more for Bungie, considering they don't have to steal all of their ideas from other game studios...

To this day, the original 'Halo' still has better physics, graphics and much more realistic (and enjoyable) damage variables than the UT franchise. Not to mention - a story. With co-op. And if you had enough televisions, Xbox consoles, controllers and friends - you'd see how amazing the game is over a LAN with the right settings.

Personally, I recommend Warthogs Only + Unlimited Nades CTF.

5. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

But no bots if there are only the 2 of you playing head to head.
    And, as far as I can tell, no remote controlled cruise "redeemer" missile!

I laughed myself stupid when a mate first sniper rifled my Redeemer out of the sky... I didn't know that could happen until then... and the Commentator said, "DENIED!" It was like, "What the hell happened? Denied!? What? My beautiful redeemer missile, DENIED?!:eek: :eek: :eek: " My brother in law was like, "Sorry Dave, I shot it with my sniper rifle." Then I was seriously ROFL.

Also, I can't quite understand the Halo vehicle armour damage system... do you even have a HUD readout for Halo vehicle damage? Or are they indestructible? (Dull).

I love the fact that in UT2004 if you really like a vehicle, you can pull up at a quiet place, jump out with your link gun, and heal your vehicle. If it's a 2 person vehicle and you've commanded a bot to cover you (as in have a anti-personel gunner covering your backside when you're in the tank), then the bot will jump out and link their link gun to you for an extra fast repair of your favourite vehicle.

And seriously, the Leviathan super tank must be a nasty thing to come up to in a BIG multiplayer game. I've seen more vehicles flying through the air with debris tumbling and killing people left right and centre in UT2004 than I have in Halo... and there are no bots.

NO BOTS!

That is a seriously major flaw. Nice game. Nice graphics for it's age. Nice to play on a Ringworld and look up that ribbon that goes forever into the heavens.... and wonder, "What is around there just a little bit more" as I found myself wondering in the Larry Niven "Ringworld" classic.

But no bots? :confused:

6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Yes, vehicles are industructible, but this only applies for multiplayer mode. I think this is a lot better because it lets you keep your shield + health bar combo which adds much more strategy compared to a single health bar. And anyway, who needs bots when you can play with REAL people! :)

7. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

BOTS V REAL PEOPLE
    Hey, I'd be all for playing with real people if it did not mean I had to:-
    1/ Have my TV screen divided into 4, 2 seems bad enough!
    2/ Get someone else with an XBox over and jury rig up another TV, with 8 people all committed to play it during hours my 7 year old can enjoy (and not after his bedtime.)

Bots can simplify a lot of that and add a bit more action so that it's not just 2 lonely competetors playing a long and boring game of hide and seek. If Halo came up with it first, UT2004 perfected it. (Although it takes a long time to program these things and I remember them coming out pretty closely... within 6 months of each other? Anyone got some hard data on that?)

INDESTRUCTIBLE VEHICLES LESS REALISTIC, LESS STRATEGIC

Vehicles being destroyable is more realistic... I mean, any slashdot.com subscriber knows that airports are now considering laser technology to take out any SAM's that terrorists might use against domestic flights!
    I've been in the Aussie army, and seen some of the shoulder weaponry used to take out tanks... they might take 100 meters to "arm" but then they go boom big time! Vehicles are just not indestructible, and vehicle strategy is a whole lot more interesting when you have to decide to either
    1/ do a suicide run into a crowded "Powernode" strategy point to take out as many enemy bots/ players as possible because GETTING THAT POINT THERE AND THEN IS SO FRIGGIN IMPORTANT! or...
    2/ Stopping for a bit, repairing your tank or Raptor with your link gun, and then flying into battle a bit more conservatively with the long haul in mind.

Vehicles able to be blown up makes for a whole lot more strategy in my mind.

Taking out a vehicle as a lonely grunt AVRiL (or SAM) rocket launcher is pretty satisfying
    Also, it just looks plain COOL and is really satisfying when you can finally take out that tank bastard on the hill with your AVRiL rocket, or you shoot a Raptor from high in the sky... watching Raptors fall from the sky as a beautiful quality it's almost surreal.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Firstly, you can play Halo 1 online. It maxes out at 4 players though. google "Xlink Kai". secondly I cannot play Halo on a PC. It just feels like i'm playing a childs toy with its uber-basic controls. Halo is just very, very slow.

For multiplayer goodness; UT2004 does it for me. It's a much bigger, deeper game. The music is much better too, I know thats not a big reason but I love a good game soundtrack.

In Halo's defence, nothing will ever be a greater multiplayer map for me than Sidewinder and the weapon limiting system is genius.

The way I see it its like comparing Chess to Checkers. One has so many features and add-ons, one is very basic but both are enjoyable. Unfortunately both have players who do stupid things (camping, constant jumping etc).

9. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    um, vehicles are very much destructable in both Halo and UT2K4.

10. cwright macrumors 6502a

I personally like UT2004 much better than Halo... even if it is unrealistic. I just think its more fun to play. And I know we're talking about XBox here, but on the Mac, UT2004 is MUCH better optimized and runs alot better than Halo on lower system specs.

Lucky kid though, my parents never would have let me play Halo or UT when I was 7 :rolleyes:

11. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I actually think Halo has a better soundtrack but maybe that's just me.

I too think that weapon limitations add a whole new level of strategy. You constantly have to make decisions about what would be the best combo in the situation you're in, and then if you run out of ammo, you have to decide whether to keep the gun and wait until you find more ammo, or throw it away. :)

Now when it comes to how fast you walk on Halo, many people think its too slow, even I wouldn't mind it being a bit faster, but I think the walking speed adds to the realism.

Not too sure about the release but I know for a fact that Halo was developed over 4 years.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Single player though, nothing is much better than Halo. The whole storyline just grabbed me and didn't let go until the end, well until Halo 2 but that just spat out a disjointed, erratic and downright shoddy story.

hmm... Might play Halo 1 now. good game. if not for the horrible repeating levels (The Library comes to mind).

13. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

14. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

The Library is one of the most repetitive levels EVER! Just wave after wave of enemies with pretty much the same objective all the way through.

15. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

i couldnt even imagine thinking that this is even a fair comparison. Halo kicks UTs Ass up and down the block six ways from sunday.

when you see someone running in halo three hundred yards away it looks much more realistic than UT. UT looks like some blob zooming at an incredible speed across the landscape. this just seems silly.

Halo 2 has the modern multiplayer. Halo the original lacked decent mutiplayer gaming. get halo 2 for multiplayer.

16. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

I'm sorry but I don't agree that UT2004's running looks like Paul Atredies from Dune... they just run. You can snipe them, Redeemer them, jump in a Predator and take em out from on high, death from above. They are not that fast... total exaggeration.

UT2004's vehicles and game strategies and graphics are simply better. The bots feature allows very enjoyable multiplayer even if you only have 2 multiplayer, the game mutators are amazing.

Some of the weirdest but funniest games have been CTF with low grav and jump boots on. It's like flying bomber runs over Dresden... aerial combat. But even flying through the air you are a target, especially for a quick sniper.

UT kicks!

17. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Cool people play TimeSplitters 3 :cool: .

Seriously, take the single player of Goldeneye, the weapons of UT, the sniper rifles (TS3 has 3 different sniper rifles!!!) of Halo, and 50 playable characters and you have TimeSplitters 3.

I don't know how gamers can play unpersonal FPSs with a mouse. A freaking pointing device! Headshots are about as much fun as clicking on the back button in safari!

18. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I'm throwing in my 2 cents on this:
    Halo, I love the story, I'm enthralled in it and all I'm going to do is get an XBOX360 purely for that game only! Ok now Halo takes you into a SCI-FI partial reality which could happen later on. In Campaign mode yes you do have enemies and all that. Look at what they crammed into that game! Now I do agree that it's not to fun in Multiplayer mode, but you can, using a PC and maybe a Mac not sure, download software and use DSL and play across the Net on the XBOX. I've downloaded this program and have played before doing that. Remember Halo is story to get players to think, strategies, and conceptualize what's going on. Purely its a mind game.

Unreal Tournament 2004 (Championship 2 for XBOX I think) is purely multiplayer, it has no story line, its just a frag or be fragged. :O Mac OS X doesn't know frag!?!?!?!?!? Anyways, UT2k4 is Multiplayer and that's its basis. Now it is partially based off of Quake 3, but way way way improved over it. You can download tons of maps, PC or Mac, for it, not sure about XBOX. But UT2k4 you're just killing people. You have no story except you're basically a prisoner trying to make your way to the top or something like that.

Halo = Strategy/FPS
    UT2k4 = Tournament/FPS - rather Sports as well

See the difference? Sorry, just don't ever try and compare Halo to UT2k4, now if you want to compare Halo to a UT game, try Unreal or Unreal II the Awakening. Unreal is Strategy same with Unreal II. Unreal Tournament is a Tournament game. Sports game in its logicality.

Don't mean to be rude or mean or that, just stating a fact.

19. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

You cannot compare halo to ut2004 because the second one has no storyline at all. If you want a good adventure, buy Halo. IF you want fast-paced action and killing, buy ut2004.

I would also like to say that ut2004 is more technically advanced than halo. It has better graphics, sound and music. Not only more, but better quality also. The network code in UT2004 kicks assand you can get low latency even with the low-end DSL connections.

In addition, UT2004 has tons of mods you can download and play in case you get bored of the maps included with the game.

Finally, do not forget the basic fact: UUT2004 is more optimized for the mac than Halo. UT2004 will run on low-end macs with decent speed. Halo won't. I have both games, updated them to their latest versions, and tested them on all my macs (see my sig). And this is what I think of them.

Hope I helped.

20. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

OK, now this is something I did not know.

You guys are saying Halo is not really about multiplayer... and I thought it was. It seems it's only about multiplayer if you get 4 other TV's and 4 other Xboxes and 16 players all ready to do some multiplayer! (Or can do it over the net, but hey? The hope was to keep the Xbox out of our design studio end of the house, and our 7 year old away from the work!)

So a consensus seems to be building that UT2004 does multiplayer GOOOOOOD!:cool:

I can live with that. Time to phone around and find my local internet cafe and get some mates ready to party.:D

21. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Here let me google that program for you, I'll see if I can run it under Darwine...http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25852 its not XBConnect, but its a program for OS X just like it. Good luck and have fun, again its:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25852

22. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hi Slookster, thanks for that... I think. :confused:

I'm not sure about this hybrid stuff, were you saying I can play Halo online for free from my Mac or from my Xbox?

23. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

XBOX.
    Ok so you connect your Xbox up to your router or hub then you run the program on your mac. You go into Halo and click multiplayer and make sure you are waiting for a game or whatever (haven't played Halo for a long time). Once the program on your Mac is up and running you go find a Halo game to play or join in using that program a vola you can play Halo across the internet via Xbox.

24. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

PC: Halo. It runs much better and has better compatibaly with mods

Mac: UT2K4. Halo was a poor port to the mac and ut2k4 is close to halo in multiplayer

25. Lincoln 6 Echo macrumors member

UNREAL TOURNAMENT RULES. You are not mistaken and it's not just you, so don't worry.;)

Halo gained a LOT of hype simply because it was on console which is a much more accessible gaming platform than PC/computer, plus it had a decent story, plus cool music and some atmosphere in single-player. So for many MANY people it was the first good FPS they'd ever played so in turn it gained all those people as fans and faithful. But when you boil it down and when you have experience in PC FPS's console shooter players are softcore, computer FPS players are hardcore --- due in part to the level of control you have when playing in a computer with a mouse and keyboard.

Also, the A.I. in Unreal Tournament has ALWAYS been excellent. Ever since the first UT, it's A.I. has always been 'intelligent' compared to the competition.

P.S. - Don't complain about a free Xbox... I can't believe you'd even mention being sort-of upset about a FREE Xbox just because the 360 is available. I will pound you out if you do:rolleyes: :p