halo vs ut 2k4 on imac g5

Discussion in 'Games' started by dcharrison, Oct 4, 2004.

1. dcharrison macrumors newbie

hello everybody,
    i was just wondering, will halo run on my new iMac g5. I tried ut 2k4 on all the top settings and it runs flawlessly. i want to get halo, but i have no idea how well it winn run, and the benchmarks mean nothing to me as i dont know what a good number of fps is anyways. thanks for the help.

2. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Halo will run nowhere near as well as UT2004K on your setup Even on my Dual G5 1.8 with 2GB of RAM and the same video card as yours (NVIDIA 5200 FX Ultra), it won't run well on high settings at 1280x1024 or 1024z768. On my previous single processor 1.6 G5 with 512MB ram and a Radeon 9800 Pro card (not an option on an iMac, as you know), it ran flawlessly with everything maxed.

Thus, Halo depends on your graphics card (which isn't very good) while UT2004K is more processor hungry, and better optimized in general.

If you have 512MB or more RAM, and don't mind playing at 800x600 res and medium settings (sound quality also set to low or medium), Halo is still a worthwhile experience - but no comparison with the XBOX version.

Also, Return to Castle Wolfenstein will be killer on your system, and Call of Duty will run nicely.

3. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

4. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

You're kidding right?

If you call a steady 20 FPS at MAX settings "flawless" then I suppose you're right... otherwise I'd say you're insane... oh and that's on an SP 1.8, which was faster than yours..... -_-

5. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Now that I reflect, I realize you're right. However, if he is to have any enjoyment whatsoever on his iMac, he's going to have to set 20FPS as his criterion for flawless. *lol* <--(my first, lol) It's not too bad at 20FPS. At least objects seem to be moving more than not. Oh, and remember to turn off full shadows and particles (unless multiplayer) and DON'T upgrade past Halo 1.03 nor play it on Panther 10.4.

Doom3 (Christmas 2004?) + G5 + 6800 Ultra = more fun than an iMac

6. applekid macrumors 68020

If you're getting less than 30 FPS, don't tell me it's flawless.

Besides, read 'em and weep: Benchmarks

The benchmarks are still being updated. Feel free to help the mate if you can.

7. dcharrison thread starter macrumors newbie

you don't have to be bitter/rude. the imac can run u2k4 flawlessly. everything runs VERY SMOOTHLY, it doesn't freeze up, and the textures are good. how can i see my framerate as i play? it might help that i have 1.25gb of ram. i don't know. ive not ever had a game run better, even on a 3.4ghz p4 with a gpu that has 256mb's of vram....

8. dcharrison thread starter macrumors newbie

9. TheGimp macrumors 6502

That's because no game that looks as good as u2k4 runs better, period. You might be in luck if someone figures out how to tap into the power of G5 (if there is in fact anything to tap into at all) End of discussion for me. Have fun.

10. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Tilde key "stat fps" (no quotations)

Sorry, but I'm going to have to agree with everyone else. If you were playing deathmatch in an inside map it is safe to assume that you will get over 30FPS.

But try onslaught on Torlan. I can guarantee that on top settings you will not even touch 30FPS. My comp gets from 20-80FPS on that map, with an average around 45-50. (1280x1024 "MAX")

11. couch potato macrumors regular

12. frozenstar macrumors regular

Hardware setup:
    2x 2GHz G5, 2GB RAM, 9800XT

Software setup:
    OS X 10.3.5, ATI Displays 4.4,

Halo yields an avg framerate of ~25 FPS with no FSAA/AF. If I dare turn them on (2x FSAA, 4x AF) it drops to ~10 FPS. The game approaches unplayability in the first setup and offically becomes unplayable in the second. Based on these results, I don't see how Halo will be playable at all on an iMac G5.

Using the FSAA/AF settings in my second configuration UT2K4 will never drop below 40 FPS in any deathmatch map, and never below 30 FPS in any onslaught map. So I presume UT2K4 will run moderately well in deathmatch on an iMac G5.

As for me, I'm craving speed. My hopefully-soon-to-arrive 6800 Ultra should keep me satisfied for the next year, at least with respect to Halo. Somehow I don't think I'm going to be blown away by Doom 3 performance though.