HALO

Discussion in 'Games' started by iMacSE500, Oct 2, 2005.

1. iMacSE500 macrumors member

iMacSE500

I was thinking about getting a game for my iMac (only game I have is that Marble game). I saw that Halo was for the mac and wondered if anybody had an opinions on this. I have played Halo 1 + 2 on the XBox but never a PC (they are fun multiplayer games). Would this be a good game to have? Would I be able to hook up an Xbox controller to my computer to play this game? Or would using the keyboard be better?
    Thanks

2. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Don't even think about it unless you have the very latest iMac. It'll run like crap.

3. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

no it wont it runs fine on my ibook and my friends mac mini

4. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Never played Halo on the XBox, just PC. Even so, I'd say if you're in for the multiplayer, it's pretty fun. I believe the PC version has a couple of things the XBox didn't (flamethrower, rocket launcher warthog, banshee...?) so it has a bit of an incentive. Just don't expect any amazing graphics. Halo for PC's graphics don't match the high specs that it requires. But, you can run it just fine on an older computer (like my 800MHz G4, 64MB VRAM). I have no problem with the keyboard, but if you're used to aiming with an analog stick, I think there are some converters available to hook up controllers to a USB port.

Not the best of games, but an OK one if you're mainly interested in multiplayer.

5. kinsella93 macrumors member

I own halo for my new PB (12' 512 ram 64 VRAM) and i enjoy it a lot, i havn't played it multiplayer but the single player is very enjoyable and runs well.

6. iMacSE500 thread starter macrumors member

iMacSE500

I have a G5 1.8Ghz, 512mb (could use more), 128MB graphics card

7. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Try downloading the demo from Apple's website to see if you enjoy playing on the computer. I could find the link but I am tired and don't feel like it.

I was in the same boat as you, I have both halo 1 and 2 on the XBox and then I downloaded the demo to try on my iMac. I used to love playing shooting games on the computer, but it is very frustrating to play Halo on my computer because I am so used to the controls of the XBox. I have heard there are ways to connect the XBox controller to the computer but it apparently doesn't work perfect and has some lag.

8. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I have the demo version. The only problem I came accross was that I don't think the MAC version is compatable with Windows, therefore with internet multiplayer you can only play with MAC users. This wouldn't be a problem because for the most part MAC users are nicer ;) , but there are just very few of them, which leads to a shortage of games to chose from. If the Real (non-demo) version is compatable, please someone let me know.

10. msbsound macrumors regular

It Is

Mac and PC full versions are fine together. Just make sure to get all the patches/updates. Otherwise you server list will be about 2 pages.

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Like I said, I only have the demo, but the only servers I can log on to are MAC. In several games I ave asked the people if they were all MAC users, every time I got a "yes." As of now, the list of servers is oly about 10 long (servers, not pages). But keep in mind, that is for the demo. So the real version is compatable?

12. iMacSE500 thread starter macrumors member

iMacSE500

I just got done playing the demo for the night. Worked great. I think multiplayer works for just Macs in the demo (not MACs)...the full version will integrate with PC users.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Maybe the Mac demo doesn't have the latest patch or something. The full version can communicate with the Windows version.

By the way, it's Mac, not MAC.

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I guess I just like Apple enough to capitalize "Mac." ;) Anyway, I'll stop now.

15. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

MAC is an address in your computer, Mac is the name of a computer.

Two totally different things ^_~

And i bought Halo and enjoy playing it a lot

16. anotherjeff macrumors regular

anotherjeff

I'd be willing to sell my copy of Mac Halo if anyone is interested, just PM me. Case is cracked, a few little scratches on the actual disc but plays fine. Comes with manual as well. I'll even throw in a usb-xbox adaptor too. $25 +$5 shipping anywhere in the USA. I use tracking. Check my ebay sig as a reference: jeffaria

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I wouldnt recommend Halo... Yes I played through it but I didnt like it. The story is pretty bad and runs much slower than UT2004.

For best multiplayer action I recommend Unreal Tournament 2004

18. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

^^That game also allows expansion (new levels, maps, weapons, gametypes, etc.) where Halo for PC does not.

19. mus0r macrumors regular

Like others said, it runs fine on any 1GHz+ Mac and multi-player is great. Single player is lame as hell, so don't bother unless other people have it, too.

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Check out Call of Duty, it has a pretty good multiplayer element.

And to the naysayers, the Halo Demo runs pretty well on the G4 in my sig, so any iMac G5 should be even better speedwise (although the GeForce-equipped ones won't look as nice as my Radeon 9600).

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Keyboard and mouse is a FAR superior setup than an XBox controller.

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

HALO == $ux0r

Terrible story. I remember this game when it was called Half Life. If you played it on the XPox, then why would you get the same game for your Mac? Try something else/new.

23. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Personally, I think Halo is a great game, HOWEVER, it is quite repititive and you walk as slow an old person.

24. steelfist macrumors 6502a

found out an obvious (sorry) way to boost performance: disable pixel shading and only have vertex shading. i had it running silk smooth on 640 on my ibook and 800 is playable although some parts are just freezy.

25. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I'd heard that was due to Microsoft's insistence that the game be released quickly. The first few levels are pretty good, but after that (Library, Control Room), it's just the same thing over and over again, maybe with a slightly different number of aliens. Halo is never a game I'd pick up solely for the single player.