Discussion in 'Games' started by dying2live, Apr 28, 2004.

1. dying2live macrumors newbie

Apr 21, 2004
    I have just ordered a new iBook (14.1 inch, 1GHz, 512MB RAM). Will Halo run well on this, and if so is it worth getting? I have read mixed reviews of it.
  2. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    it should,

my friend has an 867 powerbook...

this one: http://www.apple-history.com/frames/?

and halo runs, but its kinda slow with the graphics turned down.. but it might actually run better on that ibook, he only has 380 something or other megs of ram
  3. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2004
    Halo runs absolutely horrible on my Mac (check sig). Even with all options turned off, I get barely playable framerates in the large outdoor areas. And to top if off, the game looks butt ugly too! UT2k4 runs far more playable, and looks a ton better, too.
  4. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    I tried Halo on a PC with a Pentium-4, 2.4GHz, Geforce 5200 board, and it was terrible until I turned most of the features down. I only mention this to suggest that the game is more demanding of video card performance than of CPU. If you have a Mac with a Radeon 9600 or 9800, it'll probably play well; otherwise, count on turning most of the fancy features off to get playability.

The game itself reminded me of Marathon, but the graphics are nicer.
  5. sageenos macrumors member

Jan 5, 2002
    South Carolina
    I have a 667 powerbook with 512Mb of ram and Halo runs fine. I run it at 640x480, but I can get reasonable performance even at 800x600.

I tried the UT2K4 demo, and even at minimum settings it was very jumpy.
  6. telecomm macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    Should run, pretty reasonably. I run it on my powerbook (almost the same stats, but with 768 MB of RAM), and I can run it at 1024 x 768 with vertex shaders on, and I'm at the last stage on the highest difficulty setting (right at the long run, so to speak, for those familiar with the game). So, playability shouldn't be affected in single player, and I haven't tried multiplayer (I only get high speed access at school).

Of course, everyone's standards are different, so you'll only really know once you've tried it, which, unfortunately, turns out to be an expensive way to demo this game!
  7. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    Borrow it from a friend first if you can and try it out. I'm not suggesting piracy, but with no demo available for Halo, that's pretty much your only choice. I tried out the game on my system (see specs below) and I'm really glad I didn't buy it. Surprising how much more enjoyable it is to play on the Xbox to me.

Like someone else mentioned, UT2004 runs a lot better, and it looks a lot better too IMHO. I wish Halo had been released a few years ago like it was suppose to.
  8. krisjon macrumors regular

Feb 29, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    I have it on my PB with gig and half of ram and it still plays a little slow. I still enjoy it, but it's not quite like playing it on Xbox. Then again, I never expected my PB to be a gaming machine.
  9. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ

I wonder if the new G4 1.5GHz with 128VRAM will improve performance signifcantly??