Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clintob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
Okay, there have been quite a few threads on the whole Dreamweaver vs. hand-coding argument. There's no right answer there, but for the sake of discussion, if you do hand-code, it seems the majority of users like TextMate or Adium.

So my question is... (a) what coding environment (non-Dreamweaver) do you use, and (b) what do you use for your ftp needs (or does your editor have an ftp client built in like DW?)

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
First off Adium is an instant messenger client like iChat... can't imagine anyone uses it for development.

I use text-wrangler for coding and cyberduck for ftp.

Cyberduck has been hit or miss recently. Every update seems to ruin a previously working feature while fixing something that was broken. I've heard good things about transmit but haven't dropped the cash for it yet.

clintob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
panoz7 said:
First off Adium is an instant messenger client like iChat... can't imagine anyone uses it for development.

I use text-wrangler for coding and cyberduck for ftp.

Cyberduck has been hit or miss recently. Every update seems to ruin a previously working feature while fixing something that was broken. I've heard good things about transmit but haven't dropped the cash for it yet.

Woops... haha. I meant to type Amaya, not Adium. HELLO!

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
I do it the old fashion way :) pico in the terminal, sftp for transfer, only one site isn't local, so I don't use sftp often. :cool:

Of late, I've been looking to move my sites to css-based layout, anybody know of any good tools to help setup the css?

clintob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
relimw said:
Of late, I've been looking to move my sites to css-based layout, anybody know of any good tools to help setup the css?

There's no substitute in CSS for knowing your stuff. The world of CSS layout is so full of quirks that you just kinda have to get your hands dirty and work on it.

That said, there's a tool called XyleScope that's pretty useful for debugging CSS. Give that a whirl.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
I bypass ftp altogether and use Subversion. It manages your code and you submit a revision full of changes. Very good if you are trying to keep track of your code.

I just do a subversion checkout on my webserver and away we go with whatever version I want. Makes life easy.

Otherwise, I use rsync to take a folder and sync the changes to my host (flat html mostly or silly crap like that)

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
I use TextWrangler and Fetch 90% of the time. I learned coding by using Firefox's reveal code, then by using Dreamweaver (and as clueless as I was in the beginning, I knew well enough to avoid FrontPage like the plague!).

I haven't tried TextMate yet, but I hear good things. Its hard to compete with a free app like TextWrangler, but I might try a demo one day soon. Fetch does everything I need, but I might migrate over to Transmit eventually (there seems to be more going on with its development than with Fetch).

chamberlain

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2003
Portland
Yummy FTP and TextWrangler work extremely well together. Yummy is the best ftp client around in my opinion. Also, Dreamweaver makes a very good hand-coding tool. it has built in ftp, really good code completion, good find/replace, even a built in validator for html/css. You don't ever have to use the design view. Just don't ever let Dreamweaver write your code for you.

stevearrowood

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
Learning how

I have a little experience using Transmit, but when I just saw my buddy using Dreamweaver, I thought "whoa".

Can someone sum up the main, basic differences btw the two? I am a novice, just learning how to work on sites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.