Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ComPro

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2006
Is anyone having any luck in the Public Beta with SMS?

I am able to place and receive calls, and other handoff features work, but not SMS. If I try to send an SMS message from Yosemite, it will not even attempt to send. However, if I receive an SMS message or send from my iPhone, it will appear in Yosemite's Messages app.

willydimes

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2014
I had a weird thing happen. Ive never gotten handoff to work or continuity for that matter but I sent a SMS from my phone and then it showed up in messages but when i attempted to respond from there it didn't do anything. Like I type and send but it disappears. Odd but oh well

EDIT: So it updates on my messages when i send from phone but still can't send from laptop

DarkCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2013

I am able to place and receive calls, and other handoff features work, but not SMS. If I try to send an SMS message from Yosemite, it will not even attempt to send. However, if I receive an SMS message or send from my iPhone, it will appear in Yosemite's Messages app.

Same here.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
Anyone get this while trying to enable calls in FaceTime?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 5.48.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 5.48.14 PM.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 147

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I am reporting that I was able to get my early 2011 Macbook Pro to receive SMS using IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 adapter.

I cannot see "hands off" setting. And I cannot send SMS, only to receive.

I have problem enabling FaceTime with the error message mentioned above "FaceTime and iCloud must be signed in to the same Apple ID to use iPhone Cellular Calls."

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
Anyone else still have the old iTunes 11? Is iTunes 12 a separate update to the beta?

It should be in an update available in the app store. For me it was listed in an update for command line tools.

I also don't have the handoff check box on mid 2011 mini.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I just noticed my name and this thread was mentioned on the front page :D

Thank you writers/mods or whomever chose to mention it.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
I searched the Internet for hours trying to figure out how to get Hand off and Continuity and phone calls to work. I thought I'd put all that stuff in one place and hopefully save someone the trouble of trying to collect this information themselves.

Initial Steps:

-On your Mac go to About this Mac > System Report. Under the Bluetooth Category your LMP version needs to be 0x6.. Anything lower will not work.

-On Your Mac: Go to system preferences > General > and click the "allow handoff" box at the bottom.

-On your iDevice Go to settings > general > and enable hand off.

-On your Mac open FaceTime and go to preferences. Check the "allow iPhone calls" box.

Next few steps:

- Make sure Bluetooth and Wifi are turned on for both devices.
- Make sure you are logged in to the same iCloud account on both devices.
- Make sure that your FaceTime is also logged in to the same account (this is needed for the phone calls feature to work).
- Make sure you are on the same Wifi network. Especially if you have a dual band Router. Both devices need to be on the same band to work. Don't connect to 2.4ghz on on device and 5ghz on the other.

How to verify Hand off actually works or not:

- If you open a web page in Safari on your iDevice you should get a bouncing icon on your Mac computer dock that shows up on the left end of the dock (it will kind of look out of place).

- If you open a web page on your Mac with Safari the lock screen of your iDevice should show an icon opposite the camera icon. Swipe up to open it.

Making phone calls

Open the contacts app on your Mac IF you click the phone icon it should say calling using iPhone.

Hope this helps.

P.S. you do NOT need to pair your devices.

Forgot to add if Safari is in private mode it doesn't hand off.

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro with 0x4 Bluetooth, and I can make phone calls through my mac and receive texts to my mac. I can't send texts from my mac or receive calls from it. haha. Just thought I'd add that it partially works for me.

[EDIT] Just received a call on it. I'm guessing that it's just the bugs in it. For example, it takes awhile for the seconds to start on my mac even after the call has started and connected. I'm sure it will be ironed out.

Last edited:

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA

That's what I see and I'm on DP4. I got a replacement iPhone 5S today, but these features were not working yesterday. I don't have Bluetooth 4.0 either.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I have a 2010 Macbook Pro with 0x4 Bluetooth, and I can make phone calls through my mac and receive texts to my mac. I can't send texts from my mac or receive calls from it. haha. Just thought I'd add that it partially works for me.

Are you running iOS 7 or 8? Chazz08 - DP4 or PB1?

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

I think the bluetooth LMP version was more for the hand-off portion not the actual phone call making part.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
I am reporting that I was able to get my early 2011 Macbook Pro to receive SMS using IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 adapter.

I cannot see "hands off" setting. And I cannot send SMS, only to receive.

I have problem enabling FaceTime with the error message mentioned above "FaceTime and iCloud must be signed in to the same Apple ID to use iPhone Cellular Calls."

You don't need BT 4.0 to receive SMS. I see phone calls from non-iPhone users also, and I'm also an early 2011 MBP.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Yeah, some of it is still on and off for me. The other day it wasn't working at ALL, then I reset my devices and I couldn't get rid of it even though I wasn't doing anything lol. Generally works quite well though.

Thanks for the tips though. Good to have a checklist in case things go wrong again.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
Are you running iOS 7 or 8? Chazz08 - DP4 or PB1?

iOS 8 and DP4. I didn't think there was a difference?

----------

I think the bluetooth LMP version was more for the hand-off portion not the actual phone call making part.

That's what I started thinking after awhile. It would be awesome if they could get it all to work over wifi, but as far as that goes, I have no idea about the technical side of it.

cjt3007

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
Portland, OR
does everything have to be on WiFi for this to work? or can iMac be wired?

Same question here... also I don't understand why being on 5GHz an 2.4 wouldn't works, as they are still connected to the same router/lan sou they SHOULD be able to see eachother.

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2011
Same question here... also I don't understand why being on 5GHz an 2.4 wouldn't works, as they are still connected to the same router/lan sou they SHOULD be able to see eachother.

I don't think it matters. Continuity takes advantage of bluetooth. So assuming they need to be on the same wifi network in order to work totally negates the purpose of instant hotspot. It has been well documented in these very forums that wifi isn't even needed when using handoff.

Feast your eyes on exhibit A.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 8.56.33 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 8.56.33 AM.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 370

Lopezzi

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Springfield, MO
Contacts app keeps using Cisco Jabber

I can't get calls to work. Everything else is working, but when I receive a call, it doesn't show on my computer. At work, we use Cisco Jabber and I think it's somehow hijacked my contacts calling feature. When I try calling from the contacts app, it launched Jabber instead of just calling. I have deleted the Jabber address book plugin, and set Messages as the default IM application. I'm signed in with my iCloud on both devices and FaceTime. Anybody else using Jabber and know how to stop it from trying to be the default calling app? I haven't tried just deleting the whole app altogether, but might unless someone know a fix.

BenJoeM

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
El Salvador
Wifi or Not

So I swear I saw that there is a known bug with people who are on a Wifi and a Ethernet Connection at the same time that they have a problem with handoff.

I have the following setup at work, Macbook pro is on a Wifi and Ethernet Connection, iPhone and iPad are on the same Wifi network. When I open webpages, messages, emails, etc all of them handoff without issue. But phone calls do not go through.

When I go home and I am on my wifi network at home, phone calls work fine as well as everything else.

So am I crazy that I am think it is the Wifi? Has anyone else experienced this.

Thanks

Lopezzi

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Springfield, MO
So I swear I saw that there is a known bug with people who are on a Wifi and a Ethernet Connection at the same time that they have a problem with handoff.

I have the following setup at work, Macbook pro is on a Wifi and Ethernet Connection, iPhone and iPad are on the same Wifi network. When I open webpages, messages, emails, etc all of them handoff without issue. But phone calls do not go through.

When I go home and I am on my wifi network at home, phone calls work fine as well as everything else.

So am I crazy that I am think it is the Wifi? Has anyone else experienced this.

Thanks

This might be the same issue I'm having as well. My setup at work is the same as yours, wifi and ethernet, and handoff works, but not phone calls. I originally thought it was Jabber, but it might be this issue. I haven't tried at home yet on just wifi, but will tonight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.