Hand Over The Guilty Ones or We Bomb Your City

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Oct 15, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle....GGL0TSCRBAEZSFEY?type=topNews&storyID=6516352

Rules of War, anyone? First they arrest the negotiator, then they bomb the city in retaliation for not handing over the suspect. Nice people.

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

New tactic (Gag)

It was discovered today by a Platoon of ICY Marines thursday morning that, when translated into the local language, the popular urban game of "tha dozens" could be used to draw out insurgents.

" Yeah, it was pretty funny to realize how well the ol' "yo momma's" would work on these guys." :D :rolleyes: ;) :eek:

Seriously: The USA has NO CLUE how to deal with these people and are only making things worse day by day.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm not so sure. It worked for Saddam.

4. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

5. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

More of the Same

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34612-2004Oct15.html
    It strikes me that cutting off water and power to a city of 200,000 people is not in the best interests of the innocent residents or the hospital treating civilian casualties of US bombing. Is this "Liberation" or "Total War"?

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's the one-two sucker punch, right in the ol' testaments.

The serious side to my flippant remark: Force is one thing Iraqis do understand. The country won't pacified without big helpings of it meted out, either from the US or the shell of the government we've created. Somebody is going to have to play strongman. It won't be a pretty picture, and in the end, it may not even work.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, we're great liberators (isn't that the new excuse for why we're in Iraq?), I'm sure the people there love us. Let's see, Saddam killed and tortured them... we're killing and torturing them. I'm sure I'm oversimplifying (like Bush doesn't), but I'm reminded of the words of a marine who was there. He said that they did better with candy bars than bullets (more flies with honey and all). But I'm sure blowing them up and cutting off their utilities after we caught the bad guys in retaliation will prove how much better we are than the bad guys. :rolleyes:

8. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

This kind of thing could be described as "exemplary punishment", which is specifically outlawed by the Geneva Convention (RIP).

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

But they do it, so it's ok for us to do it. Oh, wait... we're supposed to be the good guys. I keep forgetting. Yes, I know, how dare I question the mighty US and it's military. I also keep forgetting that constructive criticism against our mistakes to right the wrongs of those who make us look bad, makes me a traitor instead of a patriot I guess (unless a Dem is in office).

I'll never forget watching the reaction to the Abu Ghraib situation. Someone said that the reason we are supposed to follow the terms of the Geneva Convention, is so that when our people are the POWs they will be treated as well as we are supposed to be treating our enemies. I guess it all goes out the window when the opposition doesn't always play nice while they're blowing us up.

Sorry, but this still gets to me. We are supposed to be better, aren't we? This is happening a lot lately, in politics too. It's ok for us to do it, because they did it first.

Isn't that how this whole mess started in the first place?