HandBrake 0.9.9 Preview Release

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dynaflash, May 3, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

HandBrake just posted a 0.9.9 Preview Release in anticipation of a 0.9.9 Public Release soon.

http://handbrake.fr/?article=16

Anyone wanting to check it out, we could use some bug testing and feedback. The page links to a feedback page etc.

2. macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Cool! I'm glad you added notification center support on OSX. Hiss worked fine but native support is much better. And I know this is a little off topic and most likely in the wrong place, but can you consider adding a feature that sends an email to notify when an encode is done? Thanks again dynaflash! :)

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

maybe. though doubtful. I will put it in the request chain.

That said I can tell you it would not make 0.9.9. This is an RC so as such its just to test bugs. There would be no new features added as HB is on a feature freeze.

4. macrumors 6502

powaking

Would tying into the Messenger app be workable to send an iMessage instead?

5. thread starter macrumors 68020

Possibly but here again, hb is in a feature freeze. no new features until 0.9.9 Public is released. But will take a look at it after. If so it would show up in the normal nightlies.

6. macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Yeah, of course. I've been living without it for this long, I can live without it longer. Thanks for the great work!

7. macrumors member

I'm really looking forward to the Intel Quick Sync release on Handbrake. I think that will be a game changer for Handbrake users on a budget. :D

8. macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Unfortunatly I'm not seeing much progress on QuickSync support on OSX, Apple is using it for Quicktime X and FaceTime but apparently no support for any other 3rd party apps.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6864/handbrake-to-get-quicksync-support

9. macrumors newbie

It's very much up to Apple and Intel to play nice before QuickSync can come to 3rd party apps on OS X. For now it'll be Windows only, with the desire to expand it to linux in the near future. OS X is very much up in the air at this point.

Secondly, if folks want emails and alerts, why not just use growl / prowl?

10. macrumors 6502

potatis

Funny, using atv1 preset & same settings, files become larger than before. Will stick to 0.9.8 for time being.

11. thread starter macrumors 68020

Presuming you are using the atv 1 preset in 0.9.9 on the exact same source file and everything else equal, it would probably be due to HB using x264 profiles, tunes etc. instead of our older advanced panel settings.

I might suggest going back to 0.9.8, remember to use Presets > Update built in presets to reset back to 0.9.8. Then set up your atv 1 preset. then save it as a custom preset.

now you can go back to 0.9.9 and you have the "old" atv 1 preset still saved in your custom presets (which are not changed when updating).

If I may ask, how much of a file size increase did you notice ?

12. thread starter macrumors 68020

Hmmm, after some testing on my own ... it appears it's the loss of badapt=2:me=umh .....

I am looking into this ....

probably gonna be a change before public release in the presets.

Appreciate the info.

13. macrumors 6502

potatis

Didn't think of updating the preset, thanks. Maybe I should've updated for 0.9.9 when installing it? File size got noticeable larger, maybe around 1GB... For my resulting files, which are around 2-3GB, that's a 30-50%...

14. thread starter macrumors 68020

going up to 0.9.9 should have triggered an automatic built in preset update. You would have gotten a window as such.
    Maybe if you want try adding

Code:
    badapt=2:me=umh
    to the additional string panel in the video tab on 0.9.9 it should drop your file size.

15. thread starter macrumors 68020

16. macrumors 601

Plutonius

Thank you for all the work on handbrake !!!

17. macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Thanks for all the hard work! I have the public preview right now, can I update to the public release from the preview, or do I need to delete the preview and install the official release?

18. thread starter macrumors 68020

just update from the preview.

19. macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Alright thanks.

20. macrumors 6502

potatis

I added that string, but it seems like the file still got larger than on 0.9.8

21. macrumors member

I have redownloaded the 0.9.8 but in Mac OSX it can no longer stay open, it keeps wanting to force quit. I am trying to encode a MKV from a Blu-Ray disc using the "AppleTV 3" profile and having the same problem about file size. In 0.9.8 my average file size was 3-4.5 GB and now with 0.9.9 my file sizes are between 7.5-10 GB. Is there another way I can get the old profile of "AppleTV 3" from 0.9.8? Thanks for any help from anyone.

22. macrumors 603

blueroom

Is Quick Sync part of Handbrake yet? Specifically the OSX version.