Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffcbergeron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
i recently got an apple tv - 160gb.
i have been ripping my dvd's via handbrake 64 bit.
my issue is only with a few of my dvd's that i converted using handbrake... they play fine on itunes... but once viewed on my apple tv, the video is choppy and pixelated. i have tried both syncing and and streaming - same result.

i would appreciate any input on this...
thanks.

jeff

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
i recently got an apple tv - 160gb.
i have been ripping my dvd's via handbrake 64 bit.
my issue is only with a few of my dvd's that i converted using handbrake... they play fine on itunes... but once viewed on my apple tv, the video is choppy and pixelated. i have tried both syncing and and streaming - same result.

i would appreciate any input on this...
thanks.

jeff

Lower the video bitrate. Works for me when I get this issue.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Are you using the AppleTV preset? I use it (without any tweaks) and have never had this problem.

jeffcbergeron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Thanks Mr tune. I'll give it a try. Any suggestions on what the bit rate should be?
Thx.

J

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
You shouldn't be setting a bitrate value, you should be using constant quality mode with an RF value of between 21-19 (lower numbers give a higher quality file). Infact if you use the AppleTV preset then constant quality with an RF value of 20 should already be set for you.

jeffcbergeron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
thanks for the reply roidy,
that seams to be the problem... working good now.

much appreciated for all who gave input.

regards,
j

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.