Handbrake help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mmmdreg, Dec 30, 2004.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Handbrake (for ripping dvds) has a few options to offer and I was wondering if someone with more knowledge could offer some advice as what the best options are.

Firstly, theres a choice of a few output formats:
    1) mp4, mpeg4 video, aac audio;
    2) avi, mpeg4 video, mp3 audio;
    3) avi, h263 vid, mp3 audio;
    4) ogm, mpeg4 vid, vorbis audio.

then for the mpeg4 video encoder theres a choice of using either XviD or FFmpeg.

Which selections would be the best? The readme (from memory) said that the ffmpeg was better as it was faster on OSX. However, other people tell me different things. Furthermore, the more common format would probably be choice 2 with the xvid. So what is a definitive answer? =)

2. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I just did a quick test. Choice 1 with ffmpeg was definitely better than choice 2 with xvid. I can't be screwed doing another test so I'll just stick with the first =)

3. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I haven't tried the different options for video encoder, but as for file type, I'm fairly sure only the first will work in quicktime. However, it makes the largest files, and all of the other formats can be viewed in VLC, if you feel like using that instead of quicktime. I'm fairly sure that OGM will have the smallest size of files for the same video quality.

4. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Yeah I use mplayer to play lots of stuff but with the right codecs, quicktime works nicely =) I just did another test and it appears that ffmpeg and xvid are both a bit silly. On different parts of a movie, they have different quality, so sometimes one is perfect, the other crap, and vice versa. =( I'll keep looking around.