Handbrake MPEG4 files leave stripy videos

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by ifvand, Dec 24, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

How can I set the setting so that I can export a good quality video output to my itunes for an iPad (Ripping Kid DVD cartoons for long trips in the car etc).

I have tried all sorts of things but nothing seems to cure this problem. While I have previously been able t rip perfectly well but not sure how tat was done.

Settings changed:
    1) H264 and MPG4
    2) RF from 65 to 90 %
    3) Seelected large file
    4) Selected Target file size 700MB

I am lost and out of my depth any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance!

2. macrumors 68000

dXTC

Your Target File Size of 700 Mb may be part of your problem, especially if you're trying for a video size greater than 480 horizontally (that's 480x272 for 16:9 video or 480x360 for 4:3). If you're trying to do full DVD-resolution 720x480 with that 700 MB file limitation, you will get some noticeable compression artifacts (those occasional stripey or blocky areas on the screen).

I have a young daughter, so I think I know what you're trying to accomplish. Honestly, the iPhone/iPod Touch preset works great for kids' content (Disney, Nickelodeon, etc) on both the iPod Touch and iPad, and strike the right balance between file size and quality for a small screen. Feature-length movies usually end up between 500-700Mb with this preset, maybe 800Mb in the case of two-hour movies like Disney/Pixar's "Cars". TV episodes are of course much smaller; a three-story "Max & Ruby" episode, for example, is usually 120-130 MB with this setting.

Kids would much rather have a larger choice of videos to watch than have pixel-perfect quality. On the 10" screen of the iPad with this setting, any artifacts are usually negligible. I even use this preset for most of my daughter's movies on our Apple TV with a 46" monitor, and she's OK with the quality.

"Large file size" is only for extreme-quality rips, such as HD 720p resolutions or BluRay rips; the only thing the setting does is allow the resulting file to be larger than 4 GB. Trust me, you sincerely don't want to take up 4 GB of room for just one kids' movie on an iPad. Leave it unchecked.

3. macrumors 68000

Test samples with DeComb and DeInterlace

Your material is interlaced which means it's video and not film source.

4. macrumors 68000

dXTC

spacepower7 has a point here. If you have recorded from a VHS or other non-digital source onto blank DVDs, then your source material may be interlaced, which does exhibit a distinct "stripe" look.

However, if your source DVDs are commercial DVDs, they are not interlaced.

5. macrumors 65816

Some of my commercial DVD's ripped/encoded without those filters also leaves those stripes.

6. macrumors 68000

dXTC

Occasionally, DVD sets of older television series will still have the interlacing, this is true. Depends on how the studio decided to master the analog-to-digital transfer.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

codec x264 and *.m4v

Seems my videos need to be *.m4v and ripped to x264 codec (?) to work when synchronised through iTunes to the iPad.

However, even then I find I have to synchronise one video ata time for them to work. If I synchronise several, itunes says the synch is complete but the iPad Video app shows no change or even nothing at all.

Is this a bug...

Making progress but more as a blind man with some help given above than someone with the knowledge on what settings are required.

Thanks!