HandBrake - No Valid Source Found

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pingp, Nov 29, 2011.

  1. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    #1
    Greetings

    On Mac OS X 10.7.2

    I'm currently using HB 'Version 0.9.5 x86_64 (2011010300)' and VLC 'Version 1.1.12 The Luggage (Intel 64bit)'.

    HandBrake works great for 99% of my video encoding needs. I'm using HB to convert 720 and 1080 .mkv video files that I have pulled off the net into iTunes format. Usually it works as intended.

    Maybe 1/20 movies it brings up a an error "No Valid Source Found". At first I thought maybe it was a bad rip/dl or what ever. But it had happened a few times now. With the same video playing fine in VLC.

    There are a few threads around about this same problem. But they are all for people who get this error 100% of the time. And it's usually a 'install vlc' or 'make sure they are both 32 or 64 bit versions'. or something silly.

    The difference is this is intermittent.
     
  2. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    #2
    I get the same error from time to time also. I too would like to know what causes it. In my case I just delete the file and re download another file of the movie or TV show.
     
  3. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #3
    This is not an issue with iOS 5.
     
  4. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2010
    Location:
    Singapore
    #4
    It just happened to me too (Lion 10.7.3). It seems to be Mac related issue. Since MKV is container, it might contain some codecs not supported by OSX.

    When I open such file in Windows, there are no issues at all.
     
  5. macrumors 65816

    Jare

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Location:
    Canada
    #5
    This has nothing to do with iOS 5.
     
  6. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2010
    Location:
    Singapore
    #6
    OP posted in wrong section.
     
  7. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2010
    Location:
    Singapore
    #7
    @pingp, I think I have just found a solution to this problem. In my case it was due to file permissions. I had to click "get info" and add myself under "sharing & permissions". Then Handbrake had no more issues in reading the source.

    @moderators, please move the post to appropriate section.
     
  8. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2011
    #8
    Hmm. For me this issue wasn't file permissions.

    I was trying to convert MOV files to mp4 files coming from Final Cut Pro exported using Apple Prores 422 format.

    HB would throw the same error on the Prores files but it was ok with .mov files encoded in the HDV format which is a MPEG-2 derivative.

    :confused:
     
  9. satcomer, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

    macrumors 601

    satcomer

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    The Finger Lakes Region
    #9
    I found a fix if you are using HandBrake & VLC 2.0. You have to close the VLC and HandBrake programs and open your bowser to ths HandBrake Forum fix.

    The one extra step i had to figure out is after installing the libdvddcss is to reboot then go you your folder /YourHardDrive/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ and throw the files org.m0k.handbrake.plist & fr.handbrake.HandBrake.plist .

    Finally launch HandBrake and smile.
     
  10. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2012
    #10
    I updated my HandBrake and it sent me to a website to download ilbdvdcss.pkg. After installing this and updating my HandBrake I was able to backup my Thor DVD.
     
  11. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2012
    #11
    Another possible explanation for Macs

    I had the error on Handbrake ("no valid source found" -- Handbrake would scan the DVD's titles, then come up with this message). I already had libdvdcss in the right place and had the latest version of Handbrake.

    Well, here's what the problem was: my Mac Pro had gone up in smoke a while back, Apple was unable to fix it and they replaced it with a new Mac Pro. Although both I and the Apple "genius" who did this work and live in the U.S.A., apparently the replacement Mac was intended for the Chinese market and the DVD drive was set to region 6. I started up the Mac DVD player, got the region dialog and changed it to region 1. (Since the number of region changes is limited to a very small number, I am somewhat pissed off at Apple that I needed to burn one unnecessarily).

    Problem solved. The moral of the story if you have a Mac: CHECK YOUR DVD REGION SETTING!
     

Share This Page