Handbrake Not Recognizing All DVD Titles?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ~Shard~, Aug 31, 2005.

1. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I popped a DVD of mine (Harvey Birdman Season 1) into Handbrake to rip the episodes to AVIs. It scanned the 17 "titles" (or whatever you want to call them) just fine, but then when it gave me the option of which titles I wanted to rip, only 8 thru 17 were listed, and the episodes I wanted are titles 2-5. So, it's only listing half of the titles, and from Chapters, all I can select is "1" thru "1".

I haven't had this issue with Handbrake before - any thoughts? I can post a screenshot if it would be of help.

2. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I've had that problem on a few dvds as well, and I don't know why. I've only seen it with the latest beta version and a version I compiled myself from CVS. The only way I could come up to go around it was to use DVD2oneX to re-author the DVD to only have the title that I wanted to encode. It probably would have been smart if I had written down what movies caused the problem and then posted them to the handbrake forums.

3. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Kay, glad to know I'm not alone, thanks for the feedback. ;) I was thinking of messing around with DVD2OneX as well, but thought there should be another way.

Guess I'll wait around to see if anyone else replies with any thoughts...

4. dxm113 macrumors member

If you check out the Handbrake Forum, this is known issue. Many have speculated on what the problem may be. IIRC, most on the forum were thinking that Handbrake was having compatibility issues with DVD's from certain region codes . . .

I'm not sure . . just know the last time I was putting together a presentation I had issues with a couple of DVD's (the pres. contained a few movie clips from my library).

Before that however, I had only used Handbrake to rip media taken from "home-made" DVD's

5. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks for the tip, I'll investigate the Forums further then. It's not a huge deal, as I own the DVD, but wanted to have AVI copies on kmy HD as well to share with a friend. Hopefully this gets resolved in a fuiture release, whenever that might be...

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

back when I used handbrake a lot, I noticed that some vids that used THX sound, or really high end surround sound (like starwars) won't work at all. Also, if a dvd has DVD-rom stuff included in it, that can cause problems as well. But that is not the case every single time...like I said, I used to use handbrake, it is kind of a frustrating app. But when it works it is great.

p.s I was born in Regina...represent!! :D

7. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Cool, thanks for the insight. What program do you use now then? Have you found something better than Handbrake? Always willing to try new things... ;)

You know it! :D My brother lives out in Vancouver, whereabouts are you? I love BC, especially the Island... :cool: