Handbrake or MacTheRipper?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hanniematron, Mar 17, 2006.

1. hanniematron macrumors newbie

What's the difference between Handbrake and MacTheRipper?

2. MacHarne macrumors 6502

I've witnessed better quality video with HandBrake in comparison to MacTheRipper, although that may be only tricks in my head. I certainly have seen faster performance figures for HandBrake when compared to MacTheRipper.

Check this thread out for iMac Core Duo HandBrake results [I haven't seen any MTR results, though; probably because it is not Universal yet].

3. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Arent these two different apps. Doesn't handbrake make the video into mpeg-4 format while MTR just strips the DVD of the copyright protection? I coudl be wrong but I am pretty sure they are different. A simple search would also help answer your question, just keep that in mind.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, you're right. MacTheRipper is for ripping your DVDs but maintaining the original size, format and output.

Handbrake is for encoding your DVDs to smaller sizes by using a number of different formats including two that can be used for the iPod 5G.

You can use the Video_TS folders created by MTR as a source for Handbrake but they aren't really competing products.

5. TAV macrumors regular

MTR is a DVD ripper or extractor. The end outputs of a DVD through MTR are Video/Audio TS files.

Handbrake is a DVD to MPEG-4/H.264 ripper/converter. It does not output to MPEG-1 or MPEG-2.

Apples and Oranges.

6. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

MTR is for copying DVD's (you can do other stuff, but in laymans terms...)
    HandBrake is for putting DVD's on your iPod.

7. TAV macrumors regular

Ouch! Talk about giving one of the best free proggies out there the short-shrift. Handbrake was working wonders a million other ways for MAC peeps long before the vidpods came circling the wagon - it just happens to also accomodate the vidpods conversion specs as well.

If you want to go "layman's terms" on him, just use Handbrake Lite or iSquint for simple iPod conversions, depending on your source file.

8. umgolfer macrumors regular

The Handbrake Lite version works excellent for making the conversion after you have ripped the DVD.