Handbrake Paused/Stopped when Air went to Sleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bembol, Aug 14, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

bembol

Before I went to work last night, I ran Handbrake.

I just got home and found out it's only 20% completed?!?!

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What OS? I've never had my mac go to sleep in the middle of handbrake. That is odd but I use a desktop. If you have scheduling assistant set up to sleep at a certain time, I believe that overrides everything else.

3. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well if the MBA went to sleep, the app would stop working.

If I know I'll be doing some processing that will take hours, then I turn off the sleep, just to be safe

4. macrumors 6502

If you put your computer to sleep, it will (as the word "sleep" suggests) pause all current apps running. If you want to run something overnight, go into System Preferences -> Energy Saver and change it to never go to sleep when plugged in (display sleep is ok, but not computer sleep). Also, don't close the lid when you leave it, as that automatically sleeps your computer.

5. macrumors 6502

It can also be the other way around where handbrake for unknown reason stopped its work (perhaps due to a failure) and hence after a while of idle your computer went to sleep as it should.

6. macrumors 6502

I've noticed the same thing with my mac mini since i've updated to 10.8...

7. macrumors 6502a

Mountain Lion no longer uses disk activity to delay sleep. Instead, it requires apps to make set power management assertions to keep it going.

There's a new command-line utility called "caffeinate" which will run a command and keep the system from sleeping while that happens.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

bembol