Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adauge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Some of my dvds only rip half way. Does anyone know what my problem might be or has anyone else had this problem.

I'll select a 2:01:23 movie and then when it's done it's only half the movie at like 1:12:47. And it will stop at the same point every time I try it with that specific movie. It's not all of them just some that I run into this problem.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
It's more reliable to use MacTheRipper to rip a Video_TS folder to your HDD first, then use that as the source in Handbrake. It also lets you queue up multiple encodes from the same (or different!) sources and let the program run overnight.

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Perhaps it's the movie

I've ripped several movies with Handbrake, but for some reason The Chronicles of Riddick stopped on both attempts at the same place. Never figured it out, but I've ripped several movies since.

parrotheadmjb

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
use super to convert it http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html if you have any trouble finding where to download it on their site just send me a pm because it is slightly confusing to find it.

this is the BEST video converter and its FREE it is far better than any video conversion program that you can pay for. It is an open source project and virus free

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Some of my dvds only rip half way. Does anyone know what my problem might be or has anyone else had this problem.

I'll select a 2:01:23 movie and then when it's done it's only half the movie at like 1:12:47. And it will stop at the same point every time I try it with that specific movie. It's not all of them just some that I run into this problem.
Is the DVD copy protected? I've had problems with Handbrake and some copy protected DVDs: Macrovision's not a problem but some use bad sector marking, etc which can confuse Handbrake

goldypoker

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
Is the DVD copy protected? I've had problems with Handbrake and some copy protected DVDs: Macrovision's not a problem but some use bad sector marking, etc which can confuse Handbrake

Yes, if your DVD is protected source, it needs to be de-coded first...lots of products do this, the one I use is anyDVD. Best thing about this one, you dont need to rip to your harddrive frist, handbrake can encode str8 from the DVD drive!

If this isnt your problrm, the only thing I can suggest with handbrake is that mine acted up too, until I discovered that if your running Windows Vista, you have to make sure handbrake is running in "administrator rights" mode, or something like that....if you didnt set this, and your running vista...handbrake acts weird as you describe. To correct this situation , right click on the handbrake desktop shortcut icon and set it to administrator mode or something similar from your choice of options...only needs to be done once. The only difference is that from then on when you open handbrake it will ask you if it can run the program...just click allow. works great!

TheDPR

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2005
I have what might be a clue to your problem.

I just started using Handbrake a couple days ago to rip/convert some DVDs for iTunes and an upcoming Touch purchase.

Anyway, because of the sort of DVDs these are, I'm doing a chapter at a time, so that she can watch individual chapters and/or only have certain chapters on her iPod. Long story short, one out of every 6 to 8 chapters just won't work with Handbrake. There is some sort of encoding in them that Handbrake doesn't like. Handbrake will look at the VOB file and claim that it isn't a valid file.

If your movie is stopping at the same place every time, my guess is that Handbrake is running into a chapter that contains whatever encoding I've described above.

My solution for the present has been to use MPEG Streamclip to rip/convert those chapters Handbrake can't handle. It isn't as fast as Handbrake but it works just as well. There are probably other apps out there you might try, also. For now, I haven't been able to find a solution to this problem within Handbrake.

adauge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Yea, I'm running leopard and I thought that handbrake took off the copyright features but I guess what you guys are saying is that handbrake has trouble with certain types of copyrights? So I can use anydvd to take off all of the securtiy features and then use handbreak to rip?

TheDPR

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2005
So I can use anydvd to take off all of the securtiy features and then use handbreak to rip?
Apparently anyDVD is a Windows program.

Any help for us Mac users? This is macrumors after all.

G-love203

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
problem with ripping DVDs

Aight man, honestly I would just say buy the $45 ImToo DVD To Ipod Converter, there are a billion different versions that ImToo has to offer but they all rip and convert to the same format and they give you options life 4.7 Gig DVD, Ipod, Ipod Touch/ iPhone etc. Either that or just keep grinding with handbrake although Mpeg Streamclip is a great program for converting, but I don't know about ripping cause I've never used it for that purpose. I think this is the best way to go but if anybody else has a better idea i'm always ready to learn.

Once you go mac you never go back.

G-love203

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Ripping Porblem

Handbrake isn't as good as getting through copyright stuff as man other programs because it is free (Open Source) therefore not having the resources to perfect it's ability to get through corrupted/ more heavily copyrighted files, i think it is a good idea to use Mpeg Streamclip from now on because it has many more options with compatibility. Or you can try to find an older version of Handbrake try version 6.0. I think that's the best one although my group just has it on a flash drive cause we couldn't find it on the internet, so I don't know if you could actually find it. I think those are your best options. If anybody has a better idea i'd love to know cause I like all the rest of the mac world, am trying to find a newer better way to do all this stuff.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
use super to convert it http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html if you have any trouble finding where to download it on their site just send me a pm because it is slightly confusing to find it.

this is the BEST video converter and its FREE it is far better than any video conversion program that you can pay for. It is an open source project and virus free

It sounds like Super will decode and rip the file. Will this take the place of Handbrake? Some of my movies rip just fine with Handbrake, but others will only create a very small portion of the film.

ICNTFINDAUSRNAM

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
Only Ripping First Episode Of 4 From Series

I Am Trying To Rip A Tv Series But Handbreak Will Only Rip The First Episode When There Are 4 Episodes On Each Disck... Also Is There Anyway To Get A Main Menue When I Am Ripping Dvds...thanks To Whoever Can Help Me Put On This One.

Bajie

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
I am having exactly the same problem.
If I have a DVD with a couple of films I have recorded from the tv, when I rip and copy across only one is Handbroken.
I'm sure this is something to do with selecting the Video_TS files but I'm baffled.
Do we have to move the relevant TS Files into seperate directories and if so, how the heck do I know what I'm doing.
I have copied the same way onto my PSP without this problem. As mentioned above. its as if Handbrake is not making the Front screen of the dvd.

Bajie

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
Just to add, I have tried to do this using Handbrake and then tried again using Mac The Ripper.
Both times only one of the episodes was copied onto the ipod Touch

AlphaBob

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Rhode Island
Handbrake isn't as good as getting through copyright stuff as man other programs because it is free (Open Source) therefore not having the resources to perfect it's ability to get through corrupted/ more heavily copyrighted files,

Actually, if you read the Handbrake information they will tell you up front that it does NOT deal with copy protection at all. They will tell you to use something like MacTheRipper if the DVD is copy protected. I've had plenty of my older DVDs fail to convert using just Handbrake. So far all of them have worked fine by using MacTheRipper first then Handbrake to do the conversion to iPod.

Because the copy protection schemes are all licensed by the companies that develop them, they charge a per-disk royalty to the producers of the DVD. As the prices have fallen on DVDs, the number that have been copy protected recently have fallen too. I guess the producers are trying to maximize their income by dropping protection that tends to be fairly easy to get around anyway. So Handbrake tends to have fewer issues as time goes on, just because there are fewer copy protected disks.

So in the Mac world there is no reason not to use MacTheRipper and Handbrake together.

I'd second the opinion on DVDfab for Windows users. It rips and converts much faster in my experience on a PC with a comparable CPU to a Intel Mac.

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Just to clarify for folks, handbrake does strip copy protections

Based on the previous posts some may be confused about what Handbrake can do. It does strip copy protections (CSS) to allow movies to be compressed. In addition, Macrovision and Region Coding aren't tranferred. I've created +30 mpeg4 movies using only Handbrake and an encrypted DVD, only failing with 1 (that would actually go half way). These include old and new movies. I refuse to believe that all of them had no copy protections, considering the old way I would do it (using DVDBackup) would always display the hex code used to decrypt the disc. It would also let you know when a disc was not encrypted, which I found on 2 occassions.

AlphaBob

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Rhode Island
Based on the previous posts some may be confused about what Handbrake can do. It does strip copy protections (CSS) to allow movies to be compressed. In addition, Macrovision and Region Coding aren't tranferred. I've created +30 mpeg4 movies using only Handbrake and an encrypted DVD, only failing with 1 (that would actually go half way). These include old and new movies. I refuse to believe that all of them had no copy protections, considering the old way I would do it (using DVDBackup) would always display the hex code used to decrypt the disc. It would also let you know when a disc was not encrypted, which I found on 2 occassions.

The primary source of "protection", especially in the beginning, was CSS encoding, which was not copy protection (and hence my comment). Yes, Handbrake deals with CSS. It does NOT however, deal with any of the many forms of copy protection that were subsequently added to some DVDs. These things included defective sectors, empty sectors, etc, which Handbrake will NOT deal with. Copy protection was MUCH more common a few years ago when the studios appeared to briefly have the upper hand. However as the format matured and prices fell, and especially with the looming high-def format, most region 1 DVDs are now produced without copy protection.

Again, the emphasis is on "copy protection", not on CSS. The disks all have CSS encryption, they simply don't have extra copy protection, which is licensed by various vendors and hence costs the studios additional money if they chose to use it.

Macrovision is an anti-analog copy protection, which prevents the analog stream from being copied with a VCR. It doesn't prevent someone from making a copy of the digital disk.

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
If CSS isn't copy protection, than what is it protecting?
And yes I know what Macrovision is, what I said is that it is not transferred, and thus preventing compressed files from being recorded onto VHS tapes.

I agree additional copy protections have been added that handbrake does have a problem with. Nevertheless, Handbrake can deal with some copy protections, the majority in fact.

ranwanimator

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
I have been using DVD Decrypter and the Videora DVD to iPod Touch converter with 0 problems. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to include subtitles on a few foreign films I have. It is a two part process but works flawlessly for me on XP.

Plus it has the added benefit of being FREE. I hate paying for stuff that I can get other places for free.

Peace.

kcb2824

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
Handbrake rips DVDs blurry and choppy?

Ok so I've been trying to rip a DVD for about 3 days.. I put in a movie on Friday night and let it run until it was done but then when I open it on iTunes or it is copied to iTunes, it doesn't come out clear.. For one I can't see the screen at all it's all blurry and chopped up and secondly I can not hear anything like the screen its chopped up and makes weird clips and beeps.

So I thought it may've been the dvd or something, but I tried again today and same thing happened..

Any clues on what's goin wrong? I have a macbook pro if that helps.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I use Handbrake exclusively and have never had a problem with over 200 movies ripped.

I do remember a WARNING that I might have problems with protected disks if I did not install some app. I forget what it was, but I DL'd it and from then on I have ripped every disk except two.

One was physically damaged, the other I am not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.