Handbrake questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Foggy, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Foggy macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2006
    London, UK
    Just a couple of questions.

After purchasing myself a Terastation and converting my old xbox into an XBMC I am currently in the process of ripping all my DVD's to avi so I have instant access to the whole collection. I am doing this on a windows machine using SlySofts AnyDVD to remove the copy protection (nothing like stopping me backing up my own frikkin DVD's), then a combination of DVD Decrypter and Auto Guardian Knot.

I gather Handbrake is the preferred app for this, the questions being:

Does it handle copy protected DVD's? If not is there something else I should run?
    Roughly how long would it take to rip and encode a standard DVD to a 2gb avi file on a macbook pro 2.16? On my Athlon XP3200 I have to leave it overnight as it takes flippin ages.

Cheers for the info!
  2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    It takes me maybe 3 hours to make a 1gig file, using a G4 mini with handbreak.

And when you say copy protected DVD's, you mean any ordinaty DVD, right? Because I just put the DVD into the DVD drive and hit the rip button. I've done it with DVD's that I've made as well as DVD's I've purchased. I think every now and then a DVD pops up that doesn't want to rip (Crouching tiger comes to mind) but the developer is pretty good at getting a fix out.