Handbrake Settings

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cybiker, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Cybiker macrumors member

What are the optimal handbrake settings for copying the movies at a good file size to quality ratio? What about file type, compression, etc.? I'm just looking for some people's opinions on what they use for their settings so I can get a better window to focus on for my own use. Also post up what your typical file size ends up being.

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

I Recently Wrote A Detailed Tutorial On How To Use Handbrake

My Handbrake Tutorial is here.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i must say that after trying your method with an HD recording with eyetv, it doesn't look that good blown up.

4. Cybiker thread starter macrumors member

I'm looking for settings that other people use to store the files on their computers, good quality for full screen nothing too great but somethign tats halfway decent looking, and what would work while getting the smallest file size. The more replies I get the better, and im sure it will help others as well...

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i usually leave it stock settings on dvds, except i change the avg kbps to 1800, and do 2-pass encoding. and that's it.

6. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

How long does it take you to converta a DVD movie?

7. captain frys macrumors newbie

I usually leave all settings the same except I do 2-pass encoding and change the average kbps to between 1500 and 2000.

It usually takes about 35-40 mins per DVD on my mac.

8. TheStu macrumors 65816

Man, what Mac do you have? Quad core?

Mine takes about 1.5x realtime for 2pass 1500kbps h264 mp4 encoding. I find that the quality is close enough to DVD for me to not care.

9. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

h264 encoding always hangs Handbrake on my G5. I used to use FFmpeg at 1500kbs but XviD looks significantly better at the same rate.