Handbrake stops working?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blueflame, Jun 30, 2006.

1. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

so, i dont know what the deal is, but its very very disconcerting.
    I buy alot of dvds. they are my big love, (other than apple) anyway, i encode them all to mp4 using handbrake, for use with ipod and frontrow, i got the hills have eyes on tuesday, and when i open handbreak form my macbook, it says no dvd it can find, when i do the exact same thing on my mac mini, it works fine. any ideas?
    ive alreadt deleted all files associatd with handbrake and reinstalled, still, nothing
    andreas

2. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

anyone

does anyone have any ideas? its gonna drive me nuts
    andreas

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Does the actual DVD show up in Finder and play in DVD. Occasionally there have been DVDs which just won't play on my PB for no apparent reason. Do other DVDs work ok?

4. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

dvds

no, its as if handbrake just broke, and as I said above, on the mac mini, its working just fine. its all dvds i try as well, not just one. i really dont have a clue waht this could be. they play in dvd player just fine, mac the ripper can extract them if I wanted to copy, but i just want to encode. and like I said, its only one the macbook, on the mac mini its working just fine, this also somehow just started to occur.
    andreas

5. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

well there's always the good ol' repairing permissions trick (disk utility--> repair permissions). I have no clue why it would fix this, but it's fixed the most random problems for me in the past, and handbrake works fine for me, so since you've reinstalled once already it's probably an issue with your comp...

I don't know really though :confused:

6. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

handbrake

have you tried using handbrake since installing 10.4.7?
    this is the only thing i can think of. my g4 mini is 10.4.6 and running fine, but my macbook is 10.4.7, i dont want to mess with the mini, since its working, but its running the same version of handbrake
    andreas

7. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

new USER

i created a new user on my computer and tested, and it worked, so its something within my user, waht could it be that i hae to do to fix it?
    andreas

8. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Try deleting the .plist (preferences) file for Handbrake.