handbrake: subtitles?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by drater, Nov 7, 2005.

1. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

I am using handbrake to copy one of my dvds. It is a dvd that has partial subtitles, meaning it plays in english, but there are parts where people speak spanish and I know there is supposed to be english subtitles, but they don't show up when ripping with handbrake...anyone know a asolution?

Second thing, I own house of flying daggers. Can I:
    1. have subtitles in english? or 2.
    2. I believe you can make it play in english (dubbed) is that an option when ripping with handbrake?

Anyone know? :confused:

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

1. Yes. On the right hand side of the pane, there is an option for subtitles, aptly named "Subtitles:". You can pick the language with the drop down menu.
    2. Yes. Beneath the "Subtitles" option is the audio pane. Here you can pick the audio track, which often will have alternative languages. If there are multiple entries for the same language, the first option is usually your best bet.

3. angelneo macrumors 68000

For dubbing, you just need to select the language under the audio section.

As for subtitles, I'm not too sure, have you select the correct subtitle track in Handbrake?

4. drater thread starter macrumors 6502a

drater

Sorry, maybe I should have been more specific. I don't want subtitles through out the entire movie, just when they are supposed to come up. Like I said, the movie plays in english, but there is some other language that there is supposed to have subtitles at different points in the movie, not the entire movie....

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

If there are parts of the movie that require subtitles, and play as subtitled scenes on your DVD player, then they're likely burned into the video, and not a subtitle funciton on the DVD. Handbrake can only do full-length subtitling.

6. drater thread starter macrumors 6502a

drater

well, i burned it normally using handbrake and the parts that are supposed to have subtitles don't. so i guess it doesn't read them.

7. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Well shucks. You got me.

8. Milan macrumors member

I don't know if anyone is still interested, but I had the same problem when ripping my Kill Bill DVD.

It turns out the DVD offered 7 subtitle options. After trying them all out in Apple's DVD Player I found out that one of the three with the name "English" was the one with subtitles only for non-English-spoken texts (mostly Japanese in this case).

9. ipodcentral112 macrumors regular

Yeah thats how i do it!

10. feelingitall macrumors newbie

Picture Settings!

Here is the key to this riddle: you need to make sure that you are not cropping off the subtitles with the picture settings in Handbrake. Click the picture settings button, chose crop "custom" and decrease the margins until there is the black space where the subtitles appear.

This works for some films and solves the mystery if you followed the other instructions, turned subtitles on, but still got no joy.

11. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

These 'forced subtitles' will still be listed in the subtitles area and need to be burned in like any other subtitle.

What you will likely notice that there are two sets of English subtitles, one will be the 'forced subtitles' you want, and the other will be the full set of English subtitles for the hearing impaired.