Handbrake & VLC

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by neilnics, Dec 29, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I am trying to unsuccessfully rip dvds to my mac to put on my apple tv or iPad etc, but when I look at the dvd they are all corrupt with lines through them. I can't also load the VLC which everytime I load a dvd handbrake says cannot find. Do yo need the VLC working ? Can anybody help as you can se I am a pretty basic user so please put it in plain english so that I can understand your response.

2. macrumors 65816

Make sure handbrake and VLC are the same architecture, so either 32bit or 64bit

Simply put the disc in, open handbrake, select source, choose the DVD and select Apple tv 2 from the preset on the right and click start.

If it still doesn't work then i can only assume there is a problem with your DVD disc or drive.

Make sure you have the latest copy of each software.

3. simsaladimbamba

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

on my handbrake it has a 64 by it and i have downloaded the 64 vlc but it still doesn't seem to find the program so i still get the same problems. ANy further advice?

5. simsaladimbamba

Look at the first link in the post above yours to maybe use an actual ripper, and then HandBrake for transcoding.

6. macrumors 6502

Im new to the mac world lol--im use to a PC and i used handbrake with AnyDVD to decrypt and rip my DVD's into format to use with my IPad.

Now what exactly do I need to use and How with Handbrake? I see you mentioned Fairmount and I read that but not exactly sure how to go about using that with handbrake? help me out please:D

7. simsaladimbamba

Can this help?

[​IMG]

8. macrumors 65816

viewfly

9. macrumors 65816

As mentioned above, make sure that you have matching versions of HandBrake and VLC. Presuming your Mac is new, you'll want the 64-bit versions of both. Then, you can rip and encode DVDs in HandBrake in a single step (HandBrake automatically finds and uses VLC), selecting the iPad preset in HandBrake.

Some people prefer to rip and encode separately; either for batch processing or to ease the mechanical wear and tear on their optical drive. MakeMKV is a free download and will rip a DVD (or Blu Ray, if you have a Blu Ray burner drive) to a .mkv file for subsequent processing in HandBrake.

10. macrumors 6502

Thanks guys that helps--already have the newest version of VLC

***Do I still need to download Fairmount?? or does VLC take care of that issue of copywrite?

11. simsaladimbamba

VLC takes care, as FairMount needs VLC to decode the decryption too.
    Maybe have a look at the first link in the second post? It explains some details which might be good to know, but I guess I like being the spoon.

12. macrumors newbie

I convert all of mine for apple tv/ all I devices.
    Use makemkv to rip it into mkv. Then use handbrake. On my i5 mini the total process is less then a hour and the quality is much better then most actual dvd rippers. I usually used to use winmx for rip DVDs but found mkv then handbrake results in superior quality.

13. macrumors newbie

I had this problem ripping my first DVD today. Make sure VLC is in the application folder, then it should work