Handbrake vs. MactheRipper

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jason2811, Jul 29, 2006.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

Which is better? What's the difference between the two? I have a DVD that is split into chapters but I want to rip it and have it all in one file so I can view it as one movie. How can I do this? Thanks.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

if you use MTR, it pulls the raw data off the DVD. You can watch this on your computer without a disc, by opening DVD Player, then going File -> Open DVD Media. The video will be full DVD quality, but also will be a few gig (generally ~4-8GB). The saved file will be a VIDEO_TS file.

Hanbrake pulls selected chapters from the DVD, and converts them to a quicktime format. Its great if you want to make files viewable on your iPod. You can select the chapters you want to have ripped.

Hope this answers your question

3. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I noticed that MTR splits up the DVD into chapters. Is there any way I can put all the chapters into one file? So that it's just on big movie file (similiar to the way you would download a movie file off of Limewire or Kazaa). Thanks.

4. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Handbrake does not convert them to quicktime format, because quicktime is not a format, but a container file. Handbrake converts it to XviD, MPEG-4, or H.264.

As Scarlet Fever said, MTR provides you with a VIDEO_TS folder which is exactly like the DVD. This will be the highest quality and you can use something like Popcorn or DVD2oneX to shrink it to fit on a normal DVD-R. But this is not a good format to store on your computer. For that Handbrake is preferable. And of the different Handbrake options, H.264 is the best quality, but it will also take the longest to make. XviD is probably more well known, and is basically an equivalent to Divx (Which I'm sure you've heard of).

5. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I want to rip it and have it all in one file so I can view it as one movie. How can I do this?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sounds like you just want to use Handbrake. The VOB files are generally already split up on the DVD, MTR just copies them as-is.

B

7. nutmac macrumors 68030

Handbrake's one major limitation (for me anyway) is all audio is converted to stereo (no 5.1-channel).

8. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

just use mactheripper 'full extraction' and you will be fine

9. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Movies found on Limewire or Kazaa are done by amatuers who really know nothing about computers. If you want it like something you'd find on LimeWire, you're looking to make an .AVI file, and then you want HandBrake, but even with that, I don't know how to make one file, because I haven't tried that. HandBrake is mainly for encoding video into different formats for use on iPod or formats other than burning onto DVD, not for copying raw DVD footage. If you want to put on some big boy pants and have an actual DVD quality rip, you want to insert the DVD and use MacTheRipper to do a full extraction, as the post above me states.

Daniel.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes, but then you end up with a VIDEO_TS folder rather than a single file as per the OP's desires.

I guess if you really wanted the best of both worlds, you could wrap the VIDEO_TS folder into an ISO file and use that as your single file...

B

11. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

In my opinion, I think a single VIDEO_TS folder with perfect DVD quality is a lot more useful and professional than a single .AVI file with crappy quality, so I guess my problem is that I don't understand the original poster's desire for the crappy quality found on LimeWire instead of the professional quality of using MacTheRipper. You never have to actually open and look through a VIDEO_TS folder, so I think it technically is a single file. And a single file that blows away files of the children who think they're "pirates" or "hackers" on LimeWire. The ISO idea would be a good solution, I just don't understand why he wants a single video file, unless he's going to share it on LimeWire, which is sad because those trashy files need to be eliminated from the internet. I think we've all grown up a little since the days of downloading a video off of LimeWire of a guy in a theater on opening night with a Sony Handycam. I guess I was wrong.

Daniel.

P.S. I just woke up and I'm crabby, if you can't tell, and people who think LimeWire's a great way to get movies or music upset me a great deal. Save yourself the mismatched files, varied quality songs, AVI movies, and viruses and learn how to use torrents. I'm done with this thread. If my insight is worth anything to you, PM me.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I have no P2P experience and all my DVD rips are of DVDs I have purchased and want to back up for one reason or another. (e.g. taking a bunch of movies for the kids to watch at Grandma's house, without risking the loss of hundreds of dollars worth of DVDs.)

IMHO storage media is way too expensive to make 1:1 DVD quality backups. Dual layer DVD media is still somehwere around $2-$4 for a quality disc, and burning one is painfully slow. Even HDDs still cost about $120 for a 300 GB external drive which could fit soemwhere around 35 full dual layer discs. This works out to about $3.50/movie backup.

It's better when you recode down to single layer media, but at that rate you might as well go to MP4 and get better quality at the same bitrate.

B

13. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I honestly don't know a ton about the different kinds of DVD media, but if you watch the Circuit City ads every Sunday, there's always a pack of 25 blank DVDs for $8 or less. This weekend, they were $5. And they burn and play perfectly as long as you get the right type (the PowerBook G4 SuperDrive takes the +R, I don't know about others). So that's what I'm using.

Daniel.

14. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

sony and verbatim for me. just get the DVD-R. try a smaller pack 1st to see which ones work for you.

15. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Good or bad quality it's still illegal, the MPAA doesn't F around......

16. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just want it all in one file so that I can watch it off of my laptop without having to stop and open each chapter after another chapter ends.

17. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

What player are you using?
    It should play the complete VIDEO_TS folder, ie no stops.
    DVD Player, VLC, and if you're using XP WMP, all do this.
    I think you're having software problems if your DVDs aren't playing through

18. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

open terminal and then type:

cat /this should be the path/file1.vob /this should be the path/file2.vob > /this should be the path/renamewithnospace.vob

and it will join them, make sure you have the necessary space to create the new file as it is a copy of the original, afterwards you can delete the .vob files

19. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

another thing

what i do is type cat in terminal and then drag and drop each file, then type > and drop the folder where i want the new .vob formed (don't forget to give it a name though)

saves a lot of typing

20. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Handbrake compresses the data and you lose some of the quaoity. I have no problem with compressed data, but Handbrake doesn't have a lossless format, so i use MacTheRipper which has no compression so you get the raw data at full quality... But, I use Apple Lossless Encoder for music and RAW image format on my camera. Most people won't have an issue with the small amounts of lost quality with Handbrake.

21. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Your question has been answered several times, stop being thick.

22. jive macrumors 6502a

I've always used Handbrake with the settings on full/best and my movies look perfect. I don't want to fill 4Gb of HD with one movie... Doesn't seem like a good move to me...